Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

son

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:09 PM
  • 13 Replies
Can I please get some advice I just found out my 13yr old son recevied 2 detention s on school lied about it so I didn't let him to go to his basketball game . Think I did the right thing?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluelola
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Absolutely!  Detention is one thing (was it for not completing homework or something more serious?), but lying is the straw breaker.

pcardenas
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Thank you. He wrote me a sorry note. ask ing to let him play I still stuck to my decision.

Quoting bluelola:

Absolutely!  Detention is one thing (was it for not completing homework or something more serious?), but lying is the straw breaker.

pcardenas
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 10:00 AM
He received it for disrupting his class 2 times from 2 different teachers and he told me Ddetention isn't serious
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM
I agree with the consequence.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suesues
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM

yes u did

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM

You did the right thing. You were right to stick to your decision and not going back on it.

With that being said, if he was a player in the game, I hope you talked to the coach about why he wasn't there. Sometimes coach could help reinforce positive behavior. In general, I try to take away sports as a last resort because the teammates count on all players being there for games. I usually ground and take away electronics first since those affect him daily and doesn't affect a team game.

texasmommy125
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Yep.  Why didn't the school contact you about the detentions?

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I agree with this

Quoting Barabell:

You did the right thing. You were right to stick to your decision and not going back on it.

With that being said, if he was a player in the game, I hope you talked to the coach about why he wasn't there. Sometimes coach could help reinforce positive behavior. In general, I try to take away sports as a last resort because the teammates count on all players being there for games. I usually ground and take away electronics first since those affect him daily and doesn't affect a team game.

2coolboysmom
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:46 AM

I totally think you did the right thing.  My oldest son (now a freshman in HS) told two lies in one week in 5th grade.  I can't remember what we did for the first, but for the second, we took away a game, and he had to call his coach and let him know that he couldn't go because he was grounded (the coach was a good friend of ours).  He still remembers that punishment.  I can't say that he has never lied again, but it certainly is not a habit of his, and I think us throwing down early with him helped him understand how seriously we took lying.

tammeee3
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:41 AM
Quoting Barabell:

.......i agree..i never v really had to punish my kids very often,but never take sports away.. its not fair to the rest of the team if they don't show up.plusi. feel.it is a commitment they.make so they need to honor that..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)