Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

The monthly delema

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 12:11 PM
  • 23 Replies

My 14 yo dd has issue with changing pads throughout the day when she has her monthly.  She started her period at 12 & she STILL has this issue. Without getting graphic I will just say it's a mess in the hamper. I tell her about it but nothing helps. She won't tell me when she is out of heavier flow pads (this has happened numerous times)... so this month I just let it slide & all she has is light day ones.  They don't even have wings on them.  I feel kinda bad but I have said & tried everything else (even making her wash her undies out by hand) to get her to be responsible. It's like she just doesn't care. Anyone ever have this problem & what have you done? 

by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I would sit her down and talk to her. explain that she will smell, people will notice if she leaks and she should be embarrassed. My mother told the girls in our family. You should be the only one that knows you are on your period. Change the pad every 2 hours. Make sure you have enough pads and sandwich bags in your backpack for school.  I dont want nasty underwear in the hamper. Rinse them in cold water and get the blood out. Then she handed us a package of sandwich bags to put used pads in. That way the trash wouldn't smell.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 4:37 PM

doesnt she get teased at school?  I think the fear of embarrassment would be enough for any teen to take care of that situation.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:03 PM
I agree with making her clean them. Find out why she is lazy?? Ewwwwww. She needs only ones with wings also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MJP76
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:47 PM

The only issue I have ever had was her telling me she needs more in a timely manner. Like she will tell me as I'm walking in the door from the grocery store... REALLY!!!!. LOL

anyway, if that happens I just swing in Kroger on her dance day. And grab some.. It's not really a big deal around here.

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the other ladies about talking and making her clean them herself. I also wouldn't bother to buy the light days pads for her. If she can't be responsible enough to let you know what she needs I'd leave her with the ones that feel like a diaper full time. 
I had a hysterectomy so I don't need them but, my 17 y/o does. I simply buy them each month when I go for my bulk shopping trip at the end of the month. I think we have a stockpile right now that would last her a couple of months if it had to but, I'd rather have a stockpile than have her run out.  

MrsBLB
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I would sit her down and talk with her.  This is something to take seriously.  I didn't have this prob with my DD.  Good luck.

cat4458
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Yes, she's always had overnight, heavier flow pads with wings also.  It's just she just doesn't change throughout the day enough.  I did make her wash the undies out 2 times now, but it just keeps happening. I did break down & picked some more heavy flow pads last night. Even though she didn't tell me she needed them I couldn't have her using the tiny pads w/out wings.  I talked with her 'again' about changing several times a day not just 2 times & how gross it is if you leak, etc.  Thank goodness she hadn't started her period yet!  She takes a shower daily, & is very clean so I just don't know why this is continuing but I hope this is the last month to deal with this!! I hope she finally gets it...

bizzeemom2717
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Don't buy the smaller pads or have her switch to tampons
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cat4458
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Don't buy the smaller pads or have her switch to tampons

Yes, have thought about that (not buying smaller pads) but she says the larger pads are so... uncomfortable plus early during & later during the small ones are good.  I can surely see her point! Once I bought her the larger overnight ones, that was a real... problem (they are really huge). As for tampons, she's not ready for that since she's isn't doing the responsible things with this situation yet.  Some months she does just fine, but then there are other months.  She's only 14 & I know I wasn't ready till 16. Will in time, hopefully soon. 

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Not me.... I have boys.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN