Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Drugs

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM
  • 11 Replies

From spying on my son's twitter page, I see that he is using drugs. I knew he was smoking, but it appears he is now drinking, using narcotics and utilizing "lean", which after I googled it, is a codeine drink that people are making these days. I'm so scared of him overdosing. I don't know what to do. 

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vlynn.iowa
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Talk to him.

elkmomma
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM

You're not spying or snooping, you're being a loving Mom who cares about your kid.  Find a Alnon like group, they may have better ideas and advice from personal experiences with their kids or family members.  Talk with your son, it may just be a bunch of BS to seem kool for his peers.  Expect some anger and accusations from him when you do though. 

maureen813
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:49 AM
First of all, if he is foolish enough to post it on a public social media site like Twitter then you as well as teachers, neighbors and relatives can see it. I would sit down and have an honest discussion with him sharing your fears, next, I would refer him for a osychoeducational group with other substance using/misusing teens so he can get the education and support he needs. I am a licensed childrens therapist with six years working within a juvenile court clinic, we even ran a drug court for those minors with drug charges. There is help out there and now is the time. He will likely become angry and defensive and deny or minimize his use but that is to be expected and should in no way prevent you from seeking support for him.
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Get him help?!

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM
It's a cry for help if he's posting this. GET him help. Take him to get a drug use evaluation ASAP. Look online for drug treatment agencies in your area, call one tell them what is going on, make the appointment and go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Get him help/rehab now.

daisykat
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM
He could easily overdose on "lean." If you're mixing codeine cough syrup with 7up, you've got it. The problem with opiates that are abused, is that they slow down respiration and heart rate. Essentially, you fall asleep and never wake up. Also, the majority of drug deaths occur when people mix narcotics. Being that he's doing more than one thing, he needs help ASAP. I'm a recovering alcoholic and a family member close to me had issues with prescription drugs. The best thing you can do for him is something we talk about in AA. You need to change his playmates, play places and play things. He needs an entirely different crowd of people to hang with, and the places he hung out before have to be off-limits. Play things comes into the picture with more of a seasoned drug addict or alcoholic like myself- anything he uses while using can trigger a relapse. For me, it was garlic potato chips and energy drinks, believe it or not. I used to eat the chips to mask my breath and I liked to mix my booze with Red Bull. He may have the same reactions seeing a bottle of cough syrup or a credit card (addicts will frequently use them to chop up their opiates and snort them, like cocaine.) Each person's triggers will be different.

These are all things he will learn about in rehab, where he needs to go. If he refuses, update us because I know there are lots of moms on here who can give you a whole 'nother set of ideas on how to deal with THAT situation should it arise. Oh, and do a more thorough tossing of his room. Kids find the most creative places to hide their stash. And when you see him next, it's time for a sit down with tough questions about what's going on.
PurpleHazey
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:33 PM

We are losing many many young teens here in our area from drug overdoses. This is very sad and I do not believe the laws are doing any good, sometimes being to strick will lead to worse things. I am not saying that we shouldn't have laws but what I am sayng is back in the old days if we were caugt drinking they took our stuff and took us home or if we got in a fist fight with our best friend we got mad , went home and back to best friends in the morning to days you are arrested for both with a life long record. This is not good for our teens they are doing worse things because they are not a loud to be kids anymore. 

littlesippycup
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Oh my gosh how scary, I have nothing useful. Don't get me wrong we have plenty of issues, it's just drugs aren't it. Big hugs and good luck.  

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:23 PM
How old is your son?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)