Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you keep alcohol in your home?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:47 PM
  • 66 Replies

I had hosted an afternoon get together yesterday with a few friends and invited a couple of my neighbors. 

I noticed that I didnt have anymore soft drinks in my fridge so I opened one of the kitchen cabinets to get out a diet coke for a neighbor. She happened to look up when the cabinet door was open and she was surprised to see that I have a fully stocked bar in there. She was also surprised to see my small wine collection in the server.

She proceeded to ask me why I had alcohol in my home while I have teenagers.  She seems to think that having teenagers at home and having alcohol in the home at the same time is inappropriate and just asking for trouble.

What do you all think?

Do you have alcohol in your home with your teenagers? 
Do you think it is inappropriate? 

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cege
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Yes, we have alcohol in both our regular house and our vacation home.  I have a 16 year old and a 18 year old and it's never been a problem or issue.  If either of my kids had ever gotten into any of it, we'd know - most of the stuff is unopened  (wine, etc).   We invite friends over for dinners and get togethers and people often bring alcohol as a host's gift. 

daisykat
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:03 PM
4 moms liked this
What kind of ridiculousness is that? If you're teaching your children about drinking in moderation when they're legally able, and they see you being responsible with the liquor, that's a better way to teach them about alcohol. They will follow your example. If she wants to keep it out of her home, then that's her perogative. My thing is that I don't want my kids to see it as the forbidden fruit, so we have frank discussions about drinking, smoking, drug use, sex, etc. No embarrassment or being uncomfortable; just plain speak and maybe a little humor. She should mind her own business.
sahlady
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:11 PM

rolling on floor

I have a cabinet in the kitchen with miscellaneous bottles, a wine armoire in the living room, a bar AND under-mount keg in the pool house.... guess I too am inappropriate and asking for trouble.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:38 PM

We rarely do, but that's just because we just don't normally keep alcohol on hand. It has nothing to do with having a teenager.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:58 PM

yes we do and have had absolutely not issues with our teens and alcohol

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:18 PM
We do and never had an issue of teens drinking it. Its in our kitchen. Heck, even my 21 yo doesn't drink any of our stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HockeyDanceMom
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:29 PM

We rarely have alcohol in our house but that's only because we rarely drink.

Wife to Jason (07/10/98), Mommy to Michael James (03/21/00), Madalyn Rose (02/27/03), Emily Grace (01/07/05), Daniel Joseph (01/04/06) & Christopher Thomas (03/21/11).

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:29 PM

We do have alcohol in our kitchen, so far it remains untouched, our teen is 19. Most of it is left overs from previous get togethers/cook outs, lol.

btamilee
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:56 PM

We do not feel it is necessary to *hide* alcohol for our teenager.  We instead, feel its much better to talk about drinking, and the responsibility that comes along with the choice to drink.  I don't get how hiding alcohol will help a teenager...

outtamymynd
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:56 PM
I do and haven't had a problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)