Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Granddaughter cutting

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:21 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am a disabled Grandmother who's daughter and children all live together right now.  My granddaughter started cutting again, didn't live with me before, and I've never had to deal with something like this with my daughter or son.  There is a 12 year old grandson and 6 year old granddaughter also living with us.  I'm glad I went to computer first before my first thought was to blow up.  What can I do?  We're going for a walk right now, daughter, granddaughter, dog and I, so hopefully some talking will help.

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Counseling
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:50 PM

yep, asap~

Quoting atlmom2:

Counseling

1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM

This and a lot of love.

Quoting atlmom2:

Counseling

wsims1492
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Thank you for your responses, I appreciate it. I did mention this to her. What if she says she doesn't want to go?
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:07 PM

you haven't said how old your granddaughter is, but until she's 15 I think, she doesn't have a choice whether she goes to counselling; and if she's over 15, then you can tie counseling in with every single privliege that she has. 'Want to use the computer? sorry - not until you agree to counselling', 'want to get a job? nope sorry not until you agree to counselling'. Cutting is a very big deal and needs to be addressed/helped straight away

PurpleHazey
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Get her help!

marney.p
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Tell her you will drag her to the counseling yourself if you have to.And look her in the eye and mean it. This is serious.

Make an appointment at school with a head teacher to discus how she is going at school. This is a major part of life for a teenager and if she is cutting and the home life is stable now, I would be investigating this side of her life. Sometimes teenagers dont tell anyone about issues going on. I would explain that she is in pain and is cutting. Remind her that this is to remain private.

A good Teacher may have some strategies to help you. Ask her, and other teachers to keep a close eye on social situations. If this teacher is crap keep having meetings with orther teachers until you find one who is professional and caring. (I had to hunt around at my sons school).

In the meantime discuss with her what she thinks she is good at, or wants to learn. She may want to join a social group or take a class out side school for fun. This can help with her self esteem. teach her to cook. For eg.

Good luck

katelynnsmama97
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:00 PM

IWILL KEEP YOUR GRANDDAUGHTER AS WELL AS THE REST OF YOUR FAMILY IN MY PRAYERS.  You may want to check out   http://www.twloha.com/   

This is a link to their Vision and Mision Statements   http://twloha.com/vision

btamilee
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Counseling is a must!  She needs to be evaluated, and get help with this asap.  Cutting is much more prevalent than most people realize, and it is often a cry for help. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)