Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

need advice on where to look 4 college scholarship info.

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:09 PM
  • 9 Replies

my son is a junior in HS, i never went to college myself & don't even know where to start looking for financial help so he can go. I am open to any websites ,u may know of that could help or any other good information for me.....i will be off from work this summer & will start researching then.....thanks ladies :)

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
tyfry7496
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this
www.fastweb.com
www.scholarahip.com

Guidance office at school, employers. Some companies offer scholarships to employees kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Your SON is the one going to college.  He is the one who should be doing the research.  Put your foot in his rear, and push. I'm sure his HS has resources.

BTW, by this time of Jr year, he should ALREADY have taken all his college entrance exams--the ACT & SAT--and sent them to the colleges he is interestd in.  And discussions on how to finance college should have been going on for YEARS.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd didn't take ACT till spring junior year and fall and winter senior year and she applied at colleges Nov and Dec of senior year.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Your SON is the one going to college.  He is the one who should be doing the research.  Put your foot in his rear, and push. I'm sure his HS has resources.

BTW, by this time of Jr year, he should ALREADY have taken all his college entrance exams--the ACT & SAT--and sent them to the colleges he is interestd in.  And discussions on how to finance college should have been going on for YEARS.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cryzmom
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:03 PM

thanks

Quoting tyfry7496:

www.fastweb.com
www.scholarahip.com

Guidance office at school, employers. Some companies offer scholarships to employees kids.

cryzmom
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:06 PM

he just took his sat....& BY THE WAY I've been busy trying to survive daily from paycheck 2 paycheck since he was born & to top it off I got stuck with my father's final expenses when he died 2 years ago, another $10,000 I don't have :P

Quoting sabrtooth1:

cryzmom
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:08 PM

thanks 4 the support....he just took his practice sat a few weeks ago :)

Quoting atlmom2:

My dd didn't take ACT till spring junior year and fall and winter senior year and she applied at colleges Nov and Dec of senior year.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

bizzeemom2717
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

fastweb had best options

tyfry7496
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this
As a PARENT I will help my child fund college. I will help do the research. That's part of bring a parent. Just because its their education doesn't mean the parent shouldn't help.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Quoting tyfry7496:

As a PARENT I will help my child fund college. I will help do the research. That's part of bring a parent. Just because its their education doesn't mean the parent shouldn't help.

Nothing wrong with HELPING.  We HELPED, too.  But MOST of our "helping", involved us making SURE THAT THEY were doing what needed to be done, on a timely basis.  THEM going to their counselor.  THEM having jobs, saving money, setting up budgets, looking into ways to cut costs.  THEM investigating colleges, and majors.  THEM finding out what improved a college app, what made them a more desirable candidate.  THEM doing the paperwork, writing the essays, sending everything in on time.  And then, THEM discussing everything they'd done, learned and wanted to do, with us.

Very FEW scholarships are a whole pile of money.  Most are a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars.  Most are awarded based on jobs, volunteer work, arts, sports, clubs, and things the student has been doing for YEARS.  Grants and loan forgivness are given in return for a commitment to serve your country, work in difficult areas, serve underserved populations, & do things that NEED to be done, instead of what's fun to do. 

Mommy surfing the web, in her free time the summer before senior year, is NOT going to find those opportunities.. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN