Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Dd is invited to a hotel for a pool party

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:53 PM
  • 16 Replies
One of my daughter's friends from school invited her to a pool party. It's over night at a hotel. There is a girl room and a boy room. I told her she could go to the pool party but could not spend the night. Surprisingly she didn't argue too much about not staying the night. I explained that I don't know these other cousins. I explained that it wasn't proper for kids her age to not be supervised. She's 14.
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:02 PM
No way, boy girl. My dd's went to them, but only girls. We are 2 hours from the Wisconsin dells so kids do overnight parties there all the time. We did it for our girls too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I agree with you - and besides no hotel is going to allow a whole bunch of 14 year olds to stay unsupervised. I told my daughter that she was allowed to stay in a hotel without me when she was  A) old enough to be allowed to rent a hotel room without a over 18 needing to be there and B) able to pay for it with HER OWN money - not money I was giving her, or her education suport money for the government.

racheal241977
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:04 PM

We had a hotel /  pool party for my daughter when she was 10 with 16 girls . No boys were allowed then. 

At 15 we did it again & boys were allowed at that one, but not able to stay the night. We had about 30-- 15, 16 & 17 year olds.. & I have to say even the adults had a lot of fun. We just did our own thing while still keeping an eye on the kids. 

At both parties the moms asked if they could stay & I was 100% ok with that. We had the boys that did not have parents with them leave at 11, & about 5 boys & thier moms stayed there with us for quite a while. 

No 14 year old should have a hotel party where there is not an adult present.  If there was going to be adults present for the sleep over then I would say let her stay esp if the boys were in a different room with a male adult with them. 

For my daughters party I had my mom, aunt & mother in law & sister in laws + 3 of my best friends with me just for the girls, so we could handle all of them LOL. + alot of the moms asked to stay & hang out with us, so it turned into an amazing party for my daughter & the adults. 

Hope your daughter has fun at the pool party. 

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:06 PM

gonna agree with you. no way.

proudmother5946
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:22 PM
It's a boy that invited her. She and another girl go to the movies with him. I provide the transportation. The boy lives with his grandma. I'm assuming that his grandma is at the hotel too. But she's still not staying the night! Besides we have church in the morning.
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I would do the same.

2coolboysmom
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I think you are doing the right thing.  It would be different if there was a parent in both rooms, or at least a parent or two staying the night knowing they would be "checking".  To leave boys and girls at 14 unsupervised is just not wise!  And, I bet your daughter knows you are making a good decision, based on you saying that she didn't argue much about it!

drfink
by Emily on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Sounds like you have a good plan.Completely agree no boy-girl overnight party at a hotel.Gives me a headache just to think about .

suesues
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I have heard of it but all girls and the hotel would never allow it with out adults call the hotel and the parents to check it out

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:48 AM
How do 14 yo kids check into hotels unsupervised??? Who has a credit card?? Something doesn't add up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)