Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Have You Heard of the Cinnamon Challenge?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:27 PM
  • 31 Replies

New Warnings About the 'Cinnamon Challenge' Mean It's Time for Parents to Get Involved

by Emily Abbate

Spoon full of cinnamonThere are handfuls of ridiculous trends that teens get into: planking, car surfing, vodka eyeballing, we've heard 'em all. A report released by the American Academy of Pediatrics today urges teens to STOP with one of them: The cinnamon challenge.

You've heard of it, I'm sure. Teens dare one another to swallow a spoonful of ground cinnamon without water in under 60 seconds. Sounds easy, right? Wrong. Since the spice is caustic, taking a whole spoonful without water could cause throat irritation, breathing trouble, choking, and frighteningly enough -- collapsed lungs.

Now, doctors want everyone to realize that this fad isn't just some funny random thing kids do at parties. It's sending more and more teens to emergency rooms across the country. This is really dangerous.

The report revealed that 30 teens nationwide needed medical attention after attempting the challenge last year alone. Even worse -- between 2011 and 2012, the amount of poison control center calls about teens doing the prank rose from 51 to 222. As if that info isn't frightening enough, there are websites dedicated to the challenge, YouTube videos galore. Teens EVERYWHERE are in on it.

I can try and understand the mentality behind wanting to take the challenge. These teens want to prove that they can do this, that they're invincible. They think that the repercussions don't apply to them.

The truth is that no one is invincible to this challenge. No one can predict how their body will react to the cinnamon. And with this latest warning published in the journal Pediatrics today, it's the job of parents to make sure that teens understand this. As a parent you can't go with them everywhere or watch their every move. You can warn them about the dangers, though. Apparently if you haven't had a conversation with your kiddo about this challenge, it's definitely time.

Have you talked to your teen about the cinnamon challenge? Have you heard of it?

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Yes, I talked to my son about it a few weeks ago when him and his friend were talking about a YouTube video they watched of it. I explained to them that the cinnamon challenge and the milk challenge were dangerous and that people had died doing them.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Yep, laughed at Glozell's you tube. We know it is dangerous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Yes ,they told me about it and knew it was dangerous.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:27 PM
I just recently heard about it a day or two ago. Haven't asked the kids about it yet though
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shorty13417
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM

i have heard about the cinnamon challenge but i haven't talked to my son about it or even asked him if any of his friends has ever tried it or even talked about doing it... i guess i need to.. huh?

OvrMyHead
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:41 PM
My kids did this while I was home and not paying attention. The next day the dad of the friend who was at my house emailed me this article.
PurpleHazey
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I have heard about it, I just don't understand why teens are getting into these trends.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Yes and yes.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:08 PM

A family friend took this challenge and posted the video on Facebook.... my sons both commented that it was stupid and risky.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Were they okay? did you say anything to them?

Quoting OvrMyHead:

My kids did this while I was home and not paying attention. The next day the dad of the friend who was at my house emailed me this article.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN