Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

When choosing a political canidate

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:19 PM
  • 16 Replies

My teens and I are going to be researching political canidates this summer.  There are a TON of them.  This will be the first time 2 of my kids will be able to vote and they want to make informed choices on who they vote to run the country.

So we are at a stand still.  We really don't have any idea what to look at with the canidates.  By the way, I will not be revealing the canidate's political parties until after they have decided which canidate best suits them.  I am trying to teach them to go by who they feel will be the best rather than a political party.

So far the teens want to research their views on:
Homosexual marriage/adoption
Abortion
Gun Control
Religion

I thought religion was an odd one for them to think about, but they had some good reasons.  They wanted to know what religion they were and then see if their political views matched up with what their religious views were.  They actually came up with the fact that if they blow off their religious views in favor of political views then why wouldn't they blow off what the people wanted!  Smart kids.  Simpilistic and smart!

So what I'm wanting from you ladies, is what is important to you when it comes to voting for the next president?

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Since I work in education that is an important point for me when it comes to researching a candidate.

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:46 PM

The religion seems like an odd one to me as well.  In Massachusetts many of the politicians are both Catholic and democrat, the two often do not align.  Most are pro choice and pro marriage equality, which is against the catholic religion.

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:39 PM

The national deficit
Whats going on in N. Korea
immigration and illegal immigrants
Health Care
Educational Reform 

SuperLooneyMom
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:27 PM
What I look for in a politician ?? Among the current and future issues I look at the politician him or herself. See I wanted to be a senator of California. Following former Pres Clinton I found most politicians greedy and liars. I don't lie or cheat or take what isn't due to me.
I'd like to see candidates run as thrifty as the rest of us. Stop wasting money just to waste our time. What I look for is the truth and promises fulfilled.
jojo_star
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM

My biggest issue is always womens rights. I know many people say it isn't that important, but as a woman who has had an abortion, having people in office who support our rights to choose is a huge issue for me. Next is their view on their religion in government, then homosexuality, gun control, foreign  policy, and their stance on education. 

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:31 PM

In other words you want to see what their lifestyle backgrounds are?  Most polititions are wealthy, but you want to know if they were born into money or earned it, if the give to charities and which ones, and if they live the lifestyle of the rich and famous or are happy with what they have?

Quoting SuperLooneyMom:

What I look for in a politician ?? Among the current and future issues I look at the politician him or herself. See I wanted to be a senator of California. Following former Pres Clinton I found most politicians greedy and liars. I don't lie or cheat or take what isn't due to me.
I'd like to see candidates run as thrifty as the rest of us. Stop wasting money just to waste our time. What I look for is the truth and promises fulfilled.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Thanks ladies!  It will take a while to compile alot of these things, especially with ALL the potentional canidates out there (there's a bunch) and when I'm done, if you would like to know what I came up with I'll send it to you.  Just let me know if you want to see the list.  By the way, Wikipedia will not be providing much of this information (might for location or previous positions such as senate, congress or stuff but nothing important).

SuperLooneyMom
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:17 AM
No....

I don't care if a political grew up rich or not. It's how they run their campaign and how they put forth the job

Quoting fantasticfour:

In other words you want to see what their lifestyle backgrounds are?  Most polititions are wealthy, but you want to know if they were born into money or earned it, if the give to charities and which ones, and if they live the lifestyle of the rich and famous or are happy with what they have?

Quoting SuperLooneyMom:

tyfry7496
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:27 AM
I'm Catholic and and pro choice and for marriage equality. My religion doesn't tell me how to vote. I know MANY Catholics who are the same way.

Quoting Carmel63:

The religion seems like an odd one to me as well.  In Massachusetts many of the politicians are both Catholic and democrat, the two often do not align.  Most are pro choice and pro marriage equality, which is against the catholic religion.

tyfry7496
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Education is very important. Job creation too. Healthcare. Everything else your kids came up with is good.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN