Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

is it weird for a kid to act like this before leaving for college

Posted by   + Show Post
My daughter is really excited about the college she is going to, and is kind of giving up on the year already. Not with grades though, she still has As and Bs but she is fed up with almost everything else. Recently, she and her dad got in a little argument about something petty but instead of quickly resolving it like they usually do she ranted at him about how she was sick of being controlled and that he better start being more respectful. she said she had always been to scared to stand up to him but now she was almost out she wasn't going to just try and deal with stuff without standing up for herself. shes always been a pretty agreeable kid but thats all changed recently now she's almost out of this town and she claims shes just saying the stuff she always wanted to. she's basically ditched the girls i thought were her friends, all she said was she's sick of acting like she likes them. and this guy who i know likes her, i heard from my friend she rejected him pretty rudely. Im so shocked by this, ove never known her to be deliberately rude and i dont know whether to believe she really did hhave such big issues with everyone (though she always hated the small town we live in) or if theres a bigger problem going on. she says that shes sick of acting around people, and she just wants to get to college where she can have a new start. Do you believe this or is it something more i should be worried about?
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Replies (11-20):
1boy1girlmama
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm guilty of all of that OP. When I was 18 by the end of the year I was so done with high school I could barely stand it. I ditched friends who bugged me but never had enough reason or want to deal with the repercussions of ditching them at school. Just bring to her attention how much she is hurting your feelings. It won't take long at college for her to miss home and realize what a hard thing a new starts is.

EachNewBreath
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:46 PM

i think that she is being honest with you, and I would say that it is normal

katzmeow726
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this
It is called senioritis. Also, she is probably a little afraid, which explains the rudeness. Not to mention, in her eyes, she is a step away from freedom. While she should follow your rules, maybe it would be good to compromise a few things. Why not make it a.special evening. Fix her favorite meal and talk about what she would like to see changed, and what you are willing to adjust.
JLCrunch
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Big fish, little pond. It sounds like she's getting too big for her britches and is expecting much more out of college then she will more than likely find. By the sound of it, it won't take long into her freshman year before she gets the reality check it sounds like she properly deserves. Hopefully she realizes the error of her ways before it's too late.

katzmeow726
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Also...I did the same. I pushed away a lot of friends. Most all of mine stayed here...I think it made leaving them easier. We all reconciled by the end of summer
katzmeow726
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Also...I did the same. I pushed away a lot of friends. Most all of mine stayed here...I think it made leaving them easier. We all reconciled by the end of summer
cupcake2819
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:50 PM

This sounds like normal behaviour to me.  People react to life changes in different ways.  One way she may be coping with leaving everyone she's ever known is pushing them away.  I know young students who do this as an adjustment to moving. 

.oOMellyOo.
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Perfectly normal. I'm actually surprised I survived my senior year.... Like others have said part of it it trying to find her voice, even if it comes off rude. ( still NOT ok ) And part of it may be her distancing herself for the impending move. Sometimes we push the ones we love away with hostility and rudeness so its not so hard to leave.... happens between me and DH before every deployment.

campingmomof4
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I had 4 kids.  Some of them got attitudes before they left home.   I just didn't put up with it.  If they didn't like it they could leave early.   LOL!!!  They never do.  They are just testing there freedom. 

nikkifam5
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:52 PM
My cousins daughter did the same thing. Perfect student, great kid and totally spoiled but " grateful" so we thought. Went off to school, great scholarship and then got balls. Met a guy who was rude and disrespectful to her parents. Her grades began to slip and her boyfriend stole from her parents. When her parents said straighten up she said screw off I'm an adult. So they stopped paying their little adults phone bill and stopped sending her money. She dropped out of school, just had a baby and hasnt spoken to her family in over a year . Including me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)