Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

no respect

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:55 PM
  • 9 Replies
my 17 year old daughter doesnt act owtwardly disrespectful, at least not that ive seen, but ive started to realise she really doesnt respect many people, only the ones who have actually earned it in her eyes. i dont know what to do, its not exactly somethign i can teach her so late in life. she said she knows she has to be polite but i dont think thats enough. is this unusual fo teens?
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LowryCuisine
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Thinking back to when you were a teen did a ton of people really have your respect? If she is polite even if she doesn't respect them then feel blessed. Not many teens are like that any more.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:30 PM
3 moms liked this

I think it is normal.   My teen son is the same way, he is courteous and polite to everyone, but he only truly respects those he feels deserving.      For me, that is enough.   Not everyone deserves respect and I am glad he sees that.

tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this
My son was raised knowing that people earn respect, it's not a given. I respect him and he respects me. He knows there is a minimum of respect he must give adults but otherwise everyone earns it by respecting him. I have never had a problem with disrespect from him to anyone.
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

As long as she is being polite I wouldn't worry about it.  Respect has to be earned it's not a given.  You can't expect kids to respect everyone they meet, I know I don't.  However being polite is always necessary.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Teens are bad today. Most have no respect for elders like everyone used to when I was young. It is very sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM

This

Quoting LowryCuisine:

Thinking back to when you were a teen did a ton of people really have your respect? If she is polite even if she doesn't respect them then feel blessed. Not many teens are like that any more.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Why are you insistent that she respects those who don't earn her respect?

Momabear455
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Yes kids think they can act and do anything they want to do.  But being respectful to say your elders should be expected.  What kind of people is she being disrespectful to? Her peers?

Midsummerdawn
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:53 PM

From my experience as the mother of two teens, (well, one's not a teen anymore) and the house where all the teens hang out... you should just count yourself lucky that she pretends. In fact, you should let her know that you appreciate that she is polite to people despite how she feels about them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)