Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Teen Drivers Ed question ETA (blue)

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:02 PM
  • 46 Replies

17yo DS took his 1st drivers ed class tonight (the in class). First thing that confuses me is that it's not required to take the classes in order- except for the last one since that is when he takes the test. SO there are kids there that are almost done! IMO that is not fair- I think everyone who takes the class should be on the same page KWIM? 

Anyway- that's the least of my problems. He has to log in 50 hours of drive time with me & 10 of that has to be night driving! What the heck? I don't go driving at night unless I absolutely have to do it because I have 5 kids & 4 of them have to be in bed by 9pm during the week! And I don't go anywhere on the weekends unless it's to & from church! Which is like MAYBE 10 minutes away! So now I have to go waste my gas over & above what I normally drive in order to get my DS his 50 hours! UGH

Okay... that vent over... suggestions? I mean would practicing in the abandon parking lot down the street count? Or does it have to be on the road? It's been 20 years since I had to take drivers ed so I don't know all this stuff! And he's my oldest! LOL

Thank you ladies for all your input, suggestions, & advice. I went online to see if there was a sample log to print off & AAA has a great one to use so I printed that. 

Someone asked if I have a DH or SO to help out.... no I do not. I am divorced & the kids dad is a loser as far as visitation goes. I have never been able to depend on him. BUT I do have my parents who live in town. I can see if my dad will help out! (My mom has no patience at all so she is not an option! LOL)

My only concern right now is the fact that I do have 4 other children who are 13 & under. I have left the 4 home for short periods of time to run errands... like last night when I had to go get DS from drivers ed- it was 10 minutes away, I was gone maybe 30 minutes, & youngest (who is almost 4) was asleep already. I'm just not comfortable leaving her in charge when I take DS driving. Because if something happens to us while he is driving then I don't want her to panic or anything. BUT I could ask my parents to watch them on the weekends for a few hours.

Thanks again ladies!

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lnrmom
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM
3 moms liked this
The class time is just class time not sure why everyone starting at different times is unfair.... But Uhm... Ok.

All he has to do is say he did the hours, they don't ask for a log or proof. Stop stressing. Let him practice until he feels ready and you feel he's ready, then go take the drive test.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Most log more than 50 hours. More the better. Really needs to be driving all over and hwy driving, night etc. Classroom is so they can pass the written for the permit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyof5247
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Here it has to be a mix of town, highway, daytime & nighttime practice. DH & I had DS drive us whenever one of us went somewhere without the kids. We would even make little runs to the nearby gas station to pick up treats for the family just to practice.

We really pushed DS though & had him practice in all kinds of weather, so we started early & dragged it out...in a way I wonder if we didn't make him OVER confident about his driving skills? He got a little cocky when he got his license.
Practicing parking, backup & use of mirrors in the parking lot would be great & count toward hours.
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Here in Aus; the kids take a written test, get their permits and then have to be over 17 and have done a hundred hours with 10 night time. My DD is taking lessons, and having a certified driver. Maybe get your DS to find an instructor to do his 50 hours with? I completely disagree with fudging his hours, what the hell is he going to do if there's ever an emergancy and he has to drive somewhere at night that's more than 5 minutes away? Either do the hours, find an instructor, or take him out of the course all together if you aren't prepared to have him do the night time hours. We've told our DD that she has to do 50 hours with a instructor before we will allow her in our cars, and she's done 31 hours so far. We've also told her that her handbag must stay in the back seat, or her phone on "do not disturb" in the glove box until she pulls over at her final destination.

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:57 PM

God, I hope a kid drives more than 50 hours before getting their license! 

Here they can't get it until they've had their permit for a minimum of 6 months. Permit is a written test. My daughter drove EVERYWHERE for us for 6 months. It was kinda nice having a driver!! 

kateheart
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:04 PM

The more driving the better- its a matter of life or death in my opinion. The highest risk of accidents is the first year of driving,

MariannLws
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM

drive, drive and drive some more. Drive on all roads, freeways, and neighborhoods. Practice during the day and night. If possible different weather conditions.

DO NOT just say he did the hours when he did not. That is very dishonest. Our daughter tried that one. "Well no one will ask to see the proof" Wrong! I will.  so get to logging. 

Best of luck :) 

katydon
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I just let my DD write in 50 hours and I signed them. I didn't make her keep track. It gets really hard after a while and teens start to forget. As long as they are a safe driver, it shouldn't really matter. Every teen varies in the amount of hours of practice they need in order to be a good driver. I think you should just drive with him whenever you can, and don't allow him to get his license until he is absolutely ready, then just make up the 50 hours.

sabrtooth1
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:23 PM

We practiced with our kids WAAAY more than 50 hours, and it wasn't even a requirment back then (they're 29 & 31).  All kinds of traffic, locations, weather, day, night.  Younger dd was very nervous, so we just kept her on the permit.  She didn't get her license till she was 18.  If you want your kids to drive SAFELY, not wreck their cars, and not kill themselves or others, you should WELCOME doing REAL practice.  I do not see what the commotion is about.

If YOU don't want to be bothered, perhaps an over 21 friend or relative can do some of the practice with your son.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Actually, yes practicing in an abondoned parking lot counts.  Anything where your son is behind the wheel and the vehicle is running is considered driving.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)