Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

4/25 Today is....

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:29 AM
  • 10 Replies

Have you ever taken any of your kids to work with you?

NATIONAL TAKE OUR DAUGHTERS AND SONS TO WORK DAY

In 2013, National Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day is celebrated on April 25.  This day is recognized on the fourth Thursday of April each year.

This annual event is an educational program in the United States and Canada that revolves around parents taking their children to work with them for one day.  It is the successor of Take Our Daughters to Work Day which, in 2003, was expanded to include boys.  Most companies allowed both girls and boys to participate since the beginning, renaming the day “Take Our Children to Work Day” or such an equivalent name.

“Employees typically invite their own children or relatives to join them at work, but the program particularly encourages employees to invite children from residential programs or shelters who may not be exposed to many adults in skilled professions today.”

http://www.daughtersandsonstowork.org/wmspage.cfm?parm1=936

NATIONAL TAKE OUR DAUGHTERS AND SONS TO WORK DAY HISTORY

Founded by Gloria Steinem and the Ms. Foundation for Women, National Take Our Daughter and Sons to Work Day, an “unofficial” National holiday began in 1993.   As is it scheduled on a school day for most children, schools are provided with literature and they are encouraged to promote the program.

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Yes. When I ran a home daycare they were with me 5 days a week for 16 years.

PurpleHazey
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Nope are you kidding me, when I was working that was the only piece of mind I had....lol

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:41 AM
No mine were small when I worked. Dh never did either. I did go to work with my Dad one day each summer. He drove a semi. It was fun. I ended up working at the phone company a few years where my Mom worked in a different department.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Not on Take Your Child to Work Day, but yes. When ds1 was younger (abour 3 or 4), I was working as a page at a library. Usually dh watched him, but either was out of town or was sick (don't remember which), so I took him w/ me for a couple days. He was actually pretty well behaved- helped put books back and played in the kids' area.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I used to take my daughter to work on occassion back when she was about 2-3 years old.  I was a waitress and my boss didn't mind.  I gave her an apron, a pad and a pencil and she followed me around to the tables.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:51 AM
When I worked in an office downtown we did a huge event for take your child to work day. Mine were barely old enough at the time.
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:58 AM

No, they don't do that here.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I work from home so that is a mute point for me. They go to farms with me as well which is very good for them. They can not go to work with their father considering he works in an extremely small kitchen that he barely fits in and it is a four star restaurant.

MrsBLB
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Oh how fun!

Quoting fantasticfour:

I used to take my daughter to work on occassion back when she was about 2-3 years old.  I was a waitress and my boss didn't mind.  I gave her an apron, a pad and a pencil and she followed me around to the tables.

MrsBLB
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I couldn't where I worked, hubby did tho.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN