Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you want your child to attend an Ivy League school?

Posted by   + Show Post

If so, why?  And how are you preparing for a higher chance of getting in?

I am just curious because it seems like there is such a high intensity of parents and kids out there via for the Ivy Leagues.

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
mamavalor
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Yummy!   

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Nope. All my kids want to be chefs so far. Ivy League is not in line with that. My daughter us going to the Culinary Institute of America in the fall. We are so proud.

mamavalor
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:54 PM

You must be so proud!  You are right...some state school graduates make more than Ivy League grads.  Sometimes they are even smarter!

Quoting atlmom2:

Mine are in college, but they are not smart enough. If they were the answer would be hell no anyway. Dh went to a state school and makes more than most Ivy League grads.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:54 PM
4 moms liked this

sidesplittinglaughterNO WAY.....

because I dont want to pay for an ivy league school!!!

mamavalor
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:54 PM

You must be so proud.  Where does she go?  Does she like it there? 

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

My Ds attends an Ivy Laegue school, it was his choice I never would have pushed it.

mamavalor
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:55 PM

You must be proud of your sons!  Three thousand miles away?!  Where are you? 

Quoting boys2men2soon:

No, not really.   I have no desire to have my sons 3000 miles away, I can't afford an Ivy League, and my sons are not interested.    It is too late, anyway.   One graduated from a local University and the other one is currently attending the same school.

mamavalor
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Glad to hear you are realistic about things.  I wished more people were like you.  :) 

Quoting cege:

If that's what one of my kids really desired I'd support them but I'd also let them know that the extra expense would be taken care of in the form of student loans.  However, neither of my kids are good enough students to get into an Ivy League school so it's not an issue.

mamavalor
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Would you push and navigate them to get them there?

Quoting jojo_star:

Sure, it'd be great, since those school have high standards. 

jojo_star
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:59 PM
2 moms liked this

No. DH and I both put a strong emphasis on school, and we push our children acadmically, we want them to go to college, but we aren't going to push them towards one college or another. 

Quoting mamavalor:

Would you push and navigate them to get them there?

Quoting jojo_star:

Sure, it'd be great, since those school have high standards. 

sahlady
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this

but seriously..... I have 3 kids: 18, 16, and 12.  

The 18 yr old is not at that academic level, so that isnt an option for her.

My 16 yr old is at that level grade wise, not sure what his act/sat scores will be but when we got his psats back it said that he would be in the 97th percentile of jr.s taking the sats.... but I dont know how accurate that is.  However, he is an average white kid with no special talent, hasnt been in any clubs, played a walk on sport, doesnt have any links to any charities or special interest groups.... so I dont see him getting in even if he has AMAZING sat/act scores.

and the 12 yr old is too young to even guess.  she tests well and is a funky monkey... but she has a lot of maturing to do and who knows what she will turn out like.

mamavalor
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Best of luck to your son.  Going to Penn State will surely save him much more money.  Cornell has a very high suicide rate.  It's in the middle of nowhere.  That cliff is a magnet.  Don't want to worry you but this is a fact about Cornell.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

I don't really care if it's Ivy League or not. My son (on the other hand) is seriously considering Cornell for their wrestling program. He knows he's got to have the grades AND the athletic scholarship to go there... I think he'll end up at Penn State. He's an honors student this year but, not high honors!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)