Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you want your child to attend an Ivy League school?

Posted by   + Show Post

If so, why?  And how are you preparing for a higher chance of getting in?

I am just curious because it seems like there is such a high intensity of parents and kids out there via for the Ivy Leagues.

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:05 PM

No. I would rather they go to a Historically Black College.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Quoting mamavalor:

You must be proud of your sons!  Three thousand miles away?!  Where are you? 

Quoting boys2men2soon:

No, not really.   I have no desire to have my sons 3000 miles away, I can't afford an Ivy League, and my sons are not interested.    It is too late, anyway.   One graduated from a local University and the other one is currently attending the same school.

We are in the Pacific Northwest.   I am very proud of my guys, though neither would have qualified to attend an Ivy League School.  

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:39 PM

It's a 50/50 thing. Penn State is out of state for us so higher tuition. Cornell is in state so it equals out. 
I am not really worried about the suicide rate. This one isn't the type to do it or even think it. Now if it were my daughter or the foster? I'd worry a bit more.  

Quoting mamavalor:

Best of luck to your son.  Going to Penn State will surely save him much more money.  Cornell has a very high suicide rate.  It's in the middle of nowhere.  That cliff is a magnet.  Don't want to worry you but this is a fact about Cornell.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

I don't really care if it's Ivy League or not. My son (on the other hand) is seriously considering Cornell for their wrestling program. He knows he's got to have the grades AND the athletic scholarship to go there... I think he'll end up at Penn State. He's an honors student this year but, not high honors!

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

If they wanted to, it would have been fine.

My son went to college fairly locally.  My oldest daughter went to NYU, 3000 miles away.  My next daughter is attending a state school in the neighboring state - 250 miles away.  My youngest has decided on University of Colorado, 1400 miles away.

We encouraged them to attend a good school for their major.  And we encourage the independence of "going away" to school.  And ftr - NYU costs more than most Ivy League schools!  We have always said we would pay tuition wherever they get it and want to go to, as well as living expenses while they're in college.  If they don't go to college, or drop out like my son did - they're on their own.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Another reason is they are such liberal schools.  No way. 

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Yes very much so.  But mostly because she wants to.  We actually  just got back a lil while ago from a college fair at her high school.  She's only a freshman tho so we have alot of time before it becomes an issue.   But she really hopes to get into an ivy. We liive in the north east so I can't say i would be upset by any means.  But she won't be totally heartbroken if she gets into a non ivy. There a  ton of other schools on her list then just the Ivy.  She has her top choice then a top 3 (2 of which are not in the country) then she has top 5 then her top 10 and she even has a list of her top 50 schools.  2 of her top 10 were at the fair tonight.

My son is not ivy material and has no desire to go to one. (also a freshman) He wants to teach History at the middle school level and he says he doesnt need top university for that  lol.

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:07 PM

My kids do not have the the intellect or the drive to attend an ivy league school, and that is more than fine.  I was glad that my daughter found a school that was a good fit for her.  I do live in an area where many go to ivy league schools, and is much harder to get in than it used to be.  The other thing is that not all the Ivy league school are the most prestigious.  There is Harvard, Princeton, and Yale, and then the rest.  Schools like the University of Chicago, Stanford, MIT, Cal Tech, Duke, and others are just as selective and excellent schools.  While many very bright students will never go to such a selective and prestigious university, there are other excellent schools where they will get a great education that will help to prepare them for a successful life.

drfink
by Emily on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine make the grades and scores.Some would like to others wanted to attend specific colleges.I simply remind them to make the grades they need so they will have choices they are happy with.The rest is up to them...their education ,their choice.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this
He is a soph at Columbia and loves it. :)

Quoting mamavalor:

You must be so proud.  Where does she go?  Does she like it there? 

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

My Ds attends an Ivy Laegue school, it was his choice I never would have pushed it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this
My DS attends Columbia as it was his first choice, he also had Princeton as an option, I don't agree that Columbia isn't as prestigious or selective. He chose according to his major and the best fit for him.

Quoting Carmel63:

My kids do not have the the intellect or the drive to attend an ivy league school, and that is more than fine.  I was glad that my daughter found a school that was a good fit for her.  I do live in an area where many go to ivy league schools, and is much harder to get in than it used to be.  The other thing is that not all the Ivy league school are the most prestigious.  There is Harvard, Princeton, and Yale, and then the rest.  Schools like the University of Chicago, Stanford, MIT, Cal Tech, Duke, and others are just as selective and excellent schools.  While many very bright students will never go to such a selective and prestigious university, there are other excellent schools where they will get a great education that will help to prepare them for a successful life.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)