Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you want your child to attend an Ivy League school?

Posted by   + Show Post

If so, why?  And how are you preparing for a higher chance of getting in?

I am just curious because it seems like there is such a high intensity of parents and kids out there via for the Ivy Leagues.

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Replies (31-40):
Crazylife1994
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

We encourage good grades so if they want to get into an Ivy League college they can.

I already have 2 at Cornell and 1 starting MIT in the fall.

This was their choice all we did was encourage them to follow their dreams.

DropZoneMom
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:47 PM

My daughter is an 8th grader.   For several years, she's wanted to go to Harvard, with the goal of being a criminal profiler for the FBI.   She is VERY smart & very focused (she's been taking high school algebra classes for the past two years).    IF she still wants to go to Harvard in four years (and if she's accepted), we'll make it happen.   But it's up to her.   It's HER life.    My son (6th grader) isn't as focused on his grades and -- at the moment -- says he doesn't want to go to college far from home, cause he'd miss us.   :)   Again -- we'll see what the next few years bring.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:49 PM
2 moms liked this

We're still trying to decide on what high school he's going to attend in a little over a year is going to be.

We expect college and good grades, but what college and what profession he goes to is up to him.

supercarp
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 2:42 PM

It's name recognition at its worst. People have no idea what the quality really is. Ridiculous to be concerned about which college your child will go to if you don't know what the child will study. For example, if you want to study engineering you would never go to Harvard. Schools on the coasts have more name recognition because there are more people living there. My experience with famous professors is that they are not necessarily all that great at teaching. They are just famous for inventing something.

mamavalor
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Which ones?

Quoting diaperstodating:

No. I would rather they go to a Historically Black College.

mamavalor
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:04 PM

You mean too much liberal arts?  Which schools would you consider acceptable? 

Quoting atlmom2:

Another reason is they are such liberal schools.  No way. 

mamavalor
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:05 PM

That's A LOT of schools.

Quoting Msgme:

Yes very much so.  But mostly because she wants to.  We actually  just got back a lil while ago from a college fair at her high school.  She's only a freshman tho so we have alot of time before it becomes an issue.   But she really hopes to get into an ivy. We liive in the north east so I can't say i would be upset by any means.  But she won't be totally heartbroken if she gets into a non ivy. There a  ton of other schools on her list then just the Ivy.  She has her top choice then a top 3 (2 of which are not in the country) then she has top 5 then her top 10 and she even has a list of her top 50 schools.  2 of her top 10 were at the fair tonight.

My son is not ivy material and has no desire to go to one. (also a freshman) He wants to teach History at the middle school level and he says he doesnt need top university for that  lol.

mamavalor
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Sometimes it seems people go to the Ivy League schools because of their prestigiousness and not much more.  Finding the best fit for your child is best.

Quoting Carmel63:

My kids do not have the the intellect or the drive to attend an ivy league school, and that is more than fine.  I was glad that my daughter found a school that was a good fit for her.  I do live in an area where many go to ivy league schools, and is much harder to get in than it used to be.  The other thing is that not all the Ivy league school are the most prestigious.  There is Harvard, Princeton, and Yale, and then the rest.  Schools like the University of Chicago, Stanford, MIT, Cal Tech, Duke, and others are just as selective and excellent schools.  While many very bright students will never go to such a selective and prestigious university, there are other excellent schools where they will get a great education that will help to prepare them for a successful life.

Maisy08
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Mom of 5 never , what a waste of money. I would say no!

mamavalor
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I love Teachers College!  I had the best professor a student could ever have! 

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

He is a soph at Columbia and loves it. :)

Quoting mamavalor:

You must be so proud.  Where does she go?  Does she like it there? 

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

My Ds attends an Ivy Laegue school, it was his choice I never would have pushed it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN