Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you want your child to attend an Ivy League school?

Posted by   + Show Post

If so, why?  And how are you preparing for a higher chance of getting in?

I am just curious because it seems like there is such a high intensity of parents and kids out there via for the Ivy Leagues.

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Replies (41-50):
Msgme
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:12 PM

she's very determined to find the right school  lol   She's only a freshman so she has alot of time. the list actually used to be longer.  She hopes to narrow it down to the top 20 by the time she'll be applying.  If not she'll spend a fortune on application fees. lol

Quoting mamavalor:

That's A LOT of schools.

Quoting Msgme:

Yes very much so.  But mostly because she wants to.  We actually  just got back a lil while ago from a college fair at her high school.  She's only a freshman tho so we have alot of time before it becomes an issue.   But she really hopes to get into an ivy. We liive in the north east so I can't say i would be upset by any means.  But she won't be totally heartbroken if she gets into a non ivy. There a  ton of other schools on her list then just the Ivy.  She has her top choice then a top 3 (2 of which are not in the country) then she has top 5 then her top 10 and she even has a list of her top 50 schools.  2 of her top 10 were at the fair tonight.

My son is not ivy material and has no desire to go to one. (also a freshman) He wants to teach History at the middle school level and he says he doesnt need top university for that  lol.

mamavalor
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:14 PM

MIT is great!  You're going to LOVE it there!

Quoting Crazylife1994:

We encourage good grades so if they want to get into an Ivy League college they can.

I already have 2 at Cornell and 1 starting MIT in the fall.

This was their choice all we did was encourage them to follow their dreams.

mamavalor
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:15 PM

It's amazing how siblings are so different from each other. 

Quoting DropZoneMom:

My daughter is an 8th grader.   For several years, she's wanted to go to Harvard, with the goal of being a criminal profiler for the FBI.   She is VERY smart & very focused (she's been taking high school algebra classes for the past two years).    IF she still wants to go to Harvard in four years (and if she's accepted), we'll make it happen.   But it's up to her.   It's HER life.    My son (6th grader) isn't as focused on his grades and -- at the moment -- says he doesn't want to go to college far from home, cause he'd miss us.   :)   Again -- we'll see what the next few years bring.

mamavalor
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:19 PM

You are right.  Not all famous professors taught their way to fame.  It's all politics.  It's really crazy that people apply to schools that are out of their league or even not within their interest or talent.

Quoting supercarp:

It's name recognition at its worst. People have no idea what the quality really is. Ridiculous to be concerned about which college your child will go to if you don't know what the child will study. For example, if you want to study engineering you would never go to Harvard. Schools on the coasts have more name recognition because there are more people living there. My experience with famous professors is that they are not necessarily all that great at teaching. They are just famous for inventing something.

mamavalor
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:23 PM

So, are you a supporter of state schools?  Because some private school cost the same if not more than Ivy League schools.

Quoting Maisy08:

Mom of 5 never , what a waste of money. I would say no!

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Nope, I can offer no assistance for their college and don't want them so far in debt they have zero hope of ever paying back the loans.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:47 AM
No, politically and in life.

Quoting mamavalor:

You mean too much liberal arts?  Which schools would you consider acceptable? 

Quoting atlmom2:

Another reason is they are such liberal schools.  No way. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Nope my dd wasn't at that level academically ~ who knows with my sons~ they are in 5th and 2nd at this point. If they did, it would be their choice 100%, I would not choose a college for any of my kids. They have to make that decision.

My nephew, a junior, could definitely make it into an Ivy league but he is currently looking at two schools closer to home.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:29 AM

My son missed going to 2 of the Ivys( Brown & Yale) by 1 Academic point. He took his SATs 4 times and sadly scored the exact same 3 times in a row. He was so disappointed. He went to a Top 100 school on a full ride ! We were thrilled . He got a great education. I believe graduating from an Ivy does have its advantages ! Graduating from even a top rated school does, in some job markets.

mamavalor
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Wonderful to hear about your son!  No doubt about it, graduating from certain schools (Ivy Leagues or not) gets people's attention and the job but it's you who has to follow through and perform well to keep the job, let alone get promoted.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

My son missed going to 2 of the Ivys( Brown & Yale) by 1 Academic point. He took his SATs 4 times and sadly scored the exact same 3 times in a row. He was so disappointed. He went to a Top 100 school on a full ride ! We were thrilled . He got a great education. I believe graduating from an Ivy does have its advantages ! Graduating from even a top rated school does, in some job markets.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)