Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen Cutting

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:17 PM
  • 20 Replies

Hi I am new here and just recently found out my daughter is cutting. She has had 2 sessions of therapy. Well today I found indications that she is anorexic and her therapist wants her to see a pysch dr. My issue is parents who have been through this what is your advice and I am so against medication. I really dont know why... all this is just so new and I feel awful for her.Parents of kids on meds does it help?

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM
I only know about this from my neighbor who is a nurse at an eating disorder hospital. Sounds like she needs a psych eval for sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jojo_star
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to cut. She needs help. Get her a good psychiatrist, and have her evaluated, don't be against medication, but use it as a last resort. 

MJP76
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

This.

i am not a parent of a cutter my children are pretty well rounded, but I was a cutter as a teen. Something is really wrong with her deep down. There are two main reasons for cutting. 1) to get attention. 2) because its a way to release anger and pain. So then you have to ask your self as a parent, why is my child in pain? Or why does my child feel they need attention.

but as atlmom said psych eval for sure.

Quoting atlmom2:

I only know about this from my neighbor who is a nurse at an eating disorder hospital. Sounds like she needs a psych eval for sure.

momma_2013
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:36 PM
My best friend has been threw this a couple of times.... and she had to put her in the hospital for help... get her help because this is very bad.... dont be against meds because at some time you wont have a chose... good luck to u both
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ccleri56
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:52 AM

i think medication can be an answer BUT should never be the first answer. 

momofteencutter
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Thank you all for your input. I am just worried sick about it :/
mommersx4
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I have lived that with my son. He is on medication. I was very afraid of the medication, but it has been a huge help.  Seeing the scars breaks my heart.

mamavalor
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I am sorry for what is happening with your daughter.  Medication may be a quick answer but it's just a band-aid approach to her issues.  The whole family needs to get involved with her therapy as everyone has a role in her life that has affected her in some way.

My best friend growing up had a eating disorder, was abused by her boyfriend, and had an abortion in high school.  It was the lack of open, kind, loving communication with her family coupled with a lack of self worth that caused her to make poor choices.  She has no self-esteem and her internal moral scale was weak.  Everyone told her what to do from the day she was born.  She has a very close loving family no doublt but they loved her the way that was detrimental to her well-being.

Beautiful_Mess
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:07 PM

how old is she? what makes you think shes anorexic? just wondered because mine (dd) sometimes worries me.

MrsBLB
by Missi on Apr. 27, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Welcome to the group.  Please let us know how she is doing.  Hang in there, hugs to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)