Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

EDUCATION or HEALTH (SPORTS)??????HELP?????

Posted by   + Show Post

A little over a year ago, my husband's work forced us to move and leave an Excellent School.  The school we came to (recommended by DH's employees) turned out to be a joke.  They have been a focus school the last 2 years, due to poor test scores, my son that has a LD, has not had his IEP requirements met since day one, and the schools excuse is they don't have the funding or resources, and the teachers avoid any type of communication.

Last year our county (12 miles from my house) opened a Charter academy, and after talking to the Superintendent, attending information session, and getting feedback from other parents that have children attending, we have decided it is best for our children's education.  

My boys have never really taken an interest in sports, so the fact that they do not offer sports yet, wasn't a priority for us.  Then for some miraculous reason my eldest (14, in the 8th Grade) decides to sign up for Track.  He seems to take a liking to it, and so far is the only sport I haven't heard, "Can I quit," after the fist week.  So I am so torn and do not know what to do.  He is my one child that is on the heavier side, and needs all the physical activity he can get.  Ultimately he could still run for our community school, but the conflict is that practice is form 3-4pm, and the Charter School does not get out til 4:30pm.  The meets even start at 4, a half hour before Charter School ends their day.  Do I tell my son, he doesn't have a choice he is going to Charter School, or do I let him stay at the Community School so he can continue track, while my other 3 children go to the Charter Academy.  If it wasn't the Health benefit (which he really needs) of sports, I wouldn't be so torn.  Advice Please.

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Replies (21-29):
the3Rs
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Why don't you and your son (or DH & your son) become running partners? You can run after school/work - train for local 5K's & things like that.
lazyd
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I would go for the education.  But like you said, jokingly, on the days that your son would have practice or meets, why couldnt he leave the school early on those days?  It couldnt be every day could it??  Track is seasonal, so its not like this is a year round thing, going on all year.  When track is in season, take him out and to practice and meets.  Compromise with the charter school as long as your son keeps his grades up and makes up the time he misses school doing extra reading or extra homework, etc.

hancex6
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:19 PM

It isn't about a having them in one school, it is about choosing, a better level of education for a child who is pulling good grades where he is at or letting him stay in the school where he receives a mediocer education, but can continue in Track, and get the physical fitness he desperately needs. 

Quoting supercarp:

Maybe the school is not 1 size fits all. When the oldest goes to high school they won't be at the same school either. I have never had all my kids in one school, btw.

hancex6
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Do you just let him go run by himself or do you go with him?  I used to go on run/walks with all my kids, but am currently 30 weeks pregnant, and will be having a c-section July 02, so will take me a while to build back up to that.  I don't feel comfortable just letting him take off by himself;-)

Quoting Roo1234:

Does your community have a kids track club? That is one option. My son (currently 10) started running two years ago on his own. He has completed 26 5k races. Yes, it means we have to remember to find them, sign him up, and get him there in the early mornings, but it has been great for his motivation, confidence and general well-being.

hancex6
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:23 PM

WOW Thank You. that would be the answer to our prayers, I will definitely check into that!!!!!!!

Quoting sahlady:

talk to the charter school about allowing him to opt out of pe, thus leaving early to do track.

we have an ISPE option at our middle and high schools (Independent Study PE) there are very rigorous standards but many children participate, and all get out early to go to their practices.

hancex6
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:24 PM

There is not a gym within 30 miles of my house:-(

Quoting Lorik1969:

Can you afford a gym menbership? My youngest is pretty chunky even though he is active. I need to lose a few pounds also, so we go to the gym together. I really feel that education is more important. But I also understand your concern about getting him some exercise.

Lorik1969
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Holy cow! We just about have one on every corner! Can you afford a treadmill? You could encourage him to run to build up his stamina so he can participate once he's in high school. When I had a treadmill, I put it in front of the tv. I usually lasted longer if I was occupied by what was on tv, instead of just watching the clock. A weight bench or a punching bag also provide great exercise.
Roo1234
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Due to a long ago injury I am unable to run, so if my husband isn't available he either runs a measured distance up and down our street all within my sight, I take him to a track or he uses our treadmill.

now, when he runs actual races he runs in his own alongside all the other participants.
The first time it was really hard to let him go... he was 8 years old, it was pouring rain and the race started on a usually very busy street. to send him of with a good luck, I'll see you at the finish line was so difficult, but I don't regret letting him run. what it does for his well being is worth it.

Quoting hancex6:

Do you just let him go run by himself or do you go with him?  I used to go on run/walks with all my kids, but am currently 30 weeks pregnant, and will be having a c-section July 02, so will take me a while to build back up to that.  I don't feel comfortable just letting him take off by himself;-)

Quoting Roo1234:

Does your community have a kids track club? That is one option.

My son (currently 10) started running two years ago on his own. He has completed 26 5k races. Yes, it means we have to remember to find them, sign him up, and get him there in the early mornings, but it has been great for his motivation, confidence and general well-being.

hancex6
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:48 AM

We have a treadmill, sadly I don't push it, probably should, but I myself can't stand walking/running on treadmill, lol.  He will be in High School this fall, that is my problem, he wants to do the High School Sports, but if I transfer him to Charter School the days go til 4:30 and High School Track at Community School starts at 3:00(practice), and 4:00(meets).  It is over with by the time he can get there.

Quoting Lorik1969:

Holy cow! We just about have one on every corner! Can you afford a treadmill? You could encourage him to run to build up his stamina so he can participate once he's in high school. When I had a treadmill, I put it in front of the tv. I usually lasted longer if I was occupied by what was on tv, instead of just watching the clock. A weight bench or a punching bag also provide great exercise.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)