Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

From Moms Confessions...Teens drinking at home

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:36 AM
  • 44 Replies

Debate from another group:  Do you allow your teens to drink at home?  Have your teens had alcohol before?

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lakerfan420
by Jamie on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Older 3 have had sips on occasion, generally new years eve or a wedding reception. We don't make it extremely taboo over here, but aren't hosting any drinking parties either. Just trying to raise them with a healthy respect for alcohol so they don't feel the need to experiment early or become alcoholics as soon as they become of age. We do drink in moderation and keep liquor at the house, and so far we haven't had any issues arise.
leighp1
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:31 AM
2 moms liked this

I was raised with alcohol not being a big thing and so I didn't feel the need to drink until I was legal age.  I never snuck around or anything like that because I believe that if I wanted a drink i could have one at home where it was safe.  Now is that the way I am raising my daughter?  I am open to it, but she has never given me any notion that she is interested in drinking.  But that could be because we don't really drink here. I think if you forbid stuff, it becomes a challenge to see if they can get away with doing it and not getting caught.  Maybe I am wrong, I don't know.

VivMom1970
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:14 AM

I don't make it a big deal here and where I live it is legal for kids to drink with their parents.  My 15 yr old will drink occasionally at home but never goes to any of the drinking parties her friends go to.  I'd rather teach her to be responsible rather than forbid it all together.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:22 AM

We allowed it they would never try it. Did my boys drink as teens . Yes unfortunately they did. They were punished and life went on.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:35 AM
They had sips as teens. I did too and rarely have a drink.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamavalor
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:36 AM

No and no.  They are curious about it because they see the adults drink it.  They want to smell it or even help make the concoction but in terms of drink it themselves, they aren't interested.  I don't drink so I may be of the influence, also they see how stupidly the adults act when they've had too much.

zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:28 PM

It's certainly not a taboo in my house.  My oldest is 19 and I don't care if he has a beer when he's home.  It's really not a big deal.  Our daughter is 14 and she's been allowed a small amount of wine on special occasions.  Sometimes she askes to taste something I'm drinking and I give her a sip.  It's really not that big of a deal.  Neither my hub nor I are big drinkers anyways.

jojo_star
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, our children have had alcohol at home. 

Maverick1957
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I was raised in a home where alcohol was" taboo" the "forbidden fruit" so to speak,  so when I went off to college at 17, went a bit overboard on it.  

When I had my son didn't want him to go through that and go for the forbidden fruit. route.  We allowed him wine, on occasion (only a small bit), with dinner.  He never really drank that much later years.  Now doesn't drink hardly at all.

With SSon, we'd allowed him since around age 10  (17 now) to have couple of tablespoons of wine, with special dinner, to teach him how wines compliment food and NOT that it's meant to "get drunk".  [His dad has traveled extensively in Europe.]  

On occasion, after hard day of work at  family vac. place, DH would (I think it was around 15) let the boy have a beer, same as HIS dad did with him.  Over the yrs we've taught HIM "moderation" as well.  

Well, all this may have backfired as  SS seems to have a propensity for [ADDICTION] as he wanted more alcohol and ...harder.  He (& friends) started stealing alcohol at our home (we NEVER allowed him to have "hard liquor") 

He's not only my SS (no background on him prior to age 8) yet he's ADOPTED as well and NO background on his BIO dad.  I've DEFF seen addictive tendancies in this kid.  I'm NIXING hardly any drinking of wine at dinner now.  No beers.   

HowEVER....discovered he'd been buying alcohol...from some ...bootlegger(???) and he was able to afford brands even WE couldn't.  PLUS he was stealing ours (which is now locked in liquor cab we moved into our bedroom and BEDROOM DOOR IS LOCKED AT ALL TIMES....MY RULE!!

Maybe it' all depends on the kid.  Have determined SS is one of those that has DESPERATE need for IMMEDIATE gratification.  So the alcohol, etc.  Thank GOD he's at not into hard drugs at least.

I could go on and on...but maybe at least THESE experiences help.

I just know had my parents' made it so taboo....I probably wouldn't have drank in early college.  Wasn't bad according to today's standards yet for my day...far too much.  Still I turned out ok.  

With SS, hope it's just a phase....

gwen_b
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Never!! And they aren't even theleast bit curious!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)