Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

From Moms Confessions...Teens drinking at home

Debate from another group:  Do you allow your teens to drink at home?  Have your teens had alcohol before?

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:36 AM
Replies (31-40):
zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Just look up the laws for your state.  In colorado my kids can have a drink at home if I let them.  It's pretty much always been this way for Co

Here is one of them.

Underage Drinking: Underage Consumption of Alcohol

Consumption is prohibited WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTION(S):

• private location
  • AND parent/guardian

Notes:
CONSUMPTION: Colorado's exception requires the knowledge and consent of the owner of the private property when minors consume alcohol (in addition to the consent and presence of a parent or guardian).

Quoting 02nana07:

I think it is illegal everywhere until 21 where did you get the info saying it is ok if it is your kids I would like to read up on that law as I have never heard of it.

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

It depends on where you are at.  It's not at all illegal for my kids to have alcohol in the home, as long as they are my kids and not someone elses lol 

Quoting 02nana07:

It is illegal so no underage drinking in my house.  I never had a drink until it was legal either.

Kelseymomof3
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Where I live it is legal with their parents and yes mine do on occasion but only at home.

in love

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:24 AM

You are not correct.  It is legal in many states to serve your own kid in your own home.  I know for certain it is legal in Massachusetts.

Quoting 02nana07:

I think it is illegal everywhere until 21 where did you get the info saying it is ok if it is your kids I would like to read up on that law as I have never heard of it.

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

It depends on where you are at.  It's not at all illegal for my kids to have alcohol in the home, as long as they are my kids and not someone elses lol 

Quoting 02nana07:

It is illegal so no underage drinking in my house.  I never had a drink until it was legal either.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:29 AM
My kids have tasted it and think it's nasty. I do tell my kids that before they drink elsewhere, they are to drink at home. Mainly because it is LEGAL for me to serve my children alcohol in my home (but no where else) and for their own safety. What happens if they get drunk and pass out? What will happen to them? How much can they drink before they are drunk? Etc. Etc.
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:30 AM

My son is 13, and he has not had alcohol yet. We might allow tastes when he's older, but we rarely have alcohol in our house.

02nana07
by Ida on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Ok I read up on it but still wouldn't want to allow it.  If they do it at home and like it what is to stop them from doing it somewhere else

Quoting Carmel63:

You are not correct.  It is legal in many states to serve your own kid in your own home.  I know for certain it is legal in Massachusetts.

Quoting 02nana07:

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

Quoting 02nana07:

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I am assuming if they do like it they will do it somewhere else, and there is not much I can do to stop it.  In my case, I have a teen who will be moving to school in a few months.  Alcohol is pretty accessible on any college campus.  I would rather she experiment at home, where it is safe, instead of some senior boy's beach house when she gets to school.  As it turns out, she doesn't like beer or wine.

Quoting 02nana07:

Ok I read up on it but still wouldn't want to allow it.  If they do it at home and like it what is to stop them from doing it somewhere else

Quoting Carmel63:

Quoting 02nana07:

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

Quoting 02nana07:

zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Well at this stage in the game I really don't care if my almost 20 year old son has a drink at a friends house, just as long as he either stays put, calls me for a ride, or has a sober driver.  If he gets caught by police, that is on him  NOT me. 

EscVelocity
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I let my son have a shot of 190 proof and since then he has been disgusted of alcohol, even the fruitier stuff. He gags when he has tasted wine coolers or beer. Dunno how long this repulsion will last, but hopefully for a lifetime.

KW1280
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:14 PM
No but we dont drink either. The legal age to drink is 21 and they need to understand and obey laws. Noone else is going to make allowances for kids. Moms even though you are home you still can get charged and if some other teen drinks at your house there is a fine. It happend here in OK. I am going to find the link
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)