Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Can someone please explain scholarships to me?

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:31 AM
  • 8 Replies

Maybe I am out of the loop, but when I was in college scholarships were only awarded to those who were approved for financial aid.  Smart kids who had money weren't given any scholarships.  Has scholarship awards changed since the late 80's?

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:53 PM

There are merit scholarships, available regardless of how much money you have, and grants, which are need based.  

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes, merit scholarships are on merit only. My dd doesn't need a dime yet she got a merit scholarship. I think it is awesome kids get rewarded for good grades, not just poor kids or lower income. Private schools give a lot of merit scholarship.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jojo_star
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

There are merit scholarships that are given based on grades. There are also sports scholarships, and then financial aid or need based scholarships.

HopesNDreams
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Merit scholarships have always been around.
drfink
by Emily on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Quoting atlmom2:

Yes, merit scholarships are on merit only. My dd doesn't need a dime yet she got a merit scholarship. I think it is awesome kids get rewarded for good grades, not just poor kids or lower income. Private schools give a lot of merit scholarship.

Agree

mamavalor
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Yes, I think this is awesome that schools look at their students.

Quoting atlmom2:

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:11 PM
My oldest is in a massage therapy program. We paid cash for her school. All the sudden about 6 or 7 months into school she was informed she got a $1000 scholarship. She never applied, was just handed the money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Scholarship awards are based on the guidelines set forth by the scholarship fund. Those guidelines can be ANYTHING. Back in the 80's there were scholarships that went to smart kids with the $ for school and scholarships that were need based and scholarships that were based on things that had nothing to do with school and about a million other things.

How those scholarships are given to the recipient can be just as varied. Some are cash to the student, some are to go to a certain school, some will be paid directly to the school the student chooses...  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN