Sorry if this gets long...I have a feeling it may end up as more of a vent than a question...
I posted a few months ago about my 16 year old daughter and the 'sexting' going on between her and her boyfriend. Thank you for all the wise responses--I really appreciate the gentle caring and concern I find here. As I had feared, withing a couple of weeks of that post, my daughter told me that she and her boyfriend got carried away and had sex. I panicked a bit but have always told her it is my job to keep her safe, so I got her condoms and within a month took her to the ob/gyn where we made the decision to get a birth control device called Nexplanon, which is small stick implanted in the arm just under the skin that emits a continuous small dose of progesterone. Ideally, it prevents pregnancy but also makes periods stop. Unfortunately for her, it has increased bleeding and cramping, and she has had more trouble at the site than is usual (bruising, itching,inflammation) which makes it much more visible than it should be. She gets constant questions at school. She is also getting frequent headaches (a side effect).
Then, not quite 2 weeks ago, her boyfriend dumped her out of the blue. Needless to say I am very angry and feel that this boy used my daughter, lied to her and took away her innocence for his own selfish purposes, not to mention strong feelings of guilt (could I have done more to prevent her from getting so close to this boy whom I never really trusted?); but my daughter, after a few days of non-stop crying and not eating/sleeping much, is actually doing very well and moving on already, as she realizes he has a lot of issues and the relationship was ultimately doomed anyway, so I am trying to focus on the positive and realize I can't change the past.
We have a follow up with the Ob/gyn this week. I have a strong inclination to have the implant removed, but I don't know if I'm being hasty. It is possible that some of the side effects she's experiencing will dissipate over the next few months. If she ends up getting back together with this boy (praying that won't happen), I will most likely regret having had it removed. However, I'm also concerned that this will make her more likely to have a more casual approach to sex with the next boy who comes along. We've of course had lots of conversations about the importance of waiting and taking things more slowly to protect her heart, but I'm worried that will fly out the window in the heat of passion if she knows she is 'safe' (from pregnancy anyway).
So...any advice/opinions? I'm really at a loss...the contraption isn't doing her any good at this point other than preventing unwanted pregnancy, which at this stage is unnecessary; however, I can't know what the future holds and whether in 6 months or a year I will be regretting having removed it because she is in another serious relationship. The implant is effective for 3 years. I suppose we could seitch to BCP's down the road. What would you do?