Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Not even sure what to think about it

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 4:34 PM
  • 6 Replies
DS (17) has been best friends with a girl since they were 4 (she is 6 months younger than him). They became friends when her family started going to our church back in 2000. Over the past few years they have been on again off again bf/gf. DS just casually mentioned this morning that he hugged her as we left church & her 15yo sister said something to the effect of "oh so your girlfriend gets a hug & I don't?" So I said "Oh she's your gf again?" & he says "yeah haha". Now I have NOTHING against this girl. I think she is really nice, is a great person, great friend to DS, & has even offered advice to my 13yo DD. I just don't know what to think. They are both juniors in higgh school. They talk constantly even when they aren't dating. Shoot... when they were younger we ALL thought they would end up married one day.

I guess I just don't know if I should be concerned that they are always back & forth. I have never known them to have a bad break up- just mutual "hey let's move on". Has anyone else had to deal with this with their teen?
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Sorry I have not ran into this problem but I think its great that your son can stay friends with her even when not dating. Sounds like they are just trying to find themselves.

ame4c
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I don't know that it's a problem.  It's just your teen growing up.  It may or may not work out.  Many marriages that have made it 50 yrs started when they were pre-teens.  I know several couples that are happily married now that have been dating on again and off again since middle school.

My SD dated the same guy since middle school and got married last year.  I don't know if it will last, but they are a good couple.  They were even engaged once before and called off the wedding.  Only to be married one year later.

Life is what you make it.  If kids have that rule down, then they will be fine.

stephs5isenough
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I don't think that's a problem at all.  I actually think it is very healthy, especially if they have never had a bad break up.  I wouldn't  want my kids getting in to a serious relationship at this point.  Who knows, maybe they will get more serious and get married on day when they get older~or maybe not.  We had some friends kind of like this when I was in school.  Now they are both married to other people.  But at our 10 year reunion, both of them and their spouses were just hanging out talking and laughing together.  This is not odd at all from all I have seen both when I was in school as well as around my kids and their friends.

Click my tag to follow me to:

Living In the Arms of Jesus:

Where we PLAY, PRAY and LEARN Together.

CampClan
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think of it as a problem. I do see that they compliment each other very well. They both have their heads on straight KWIM? She wants to be a psychitrist (sp?) & he an evangelist. Neither want kids. Personally I think they make a cute couple. Lol

Quoting stephs5isenough:

I don't think that's a problem at all.  I actually think it is very healthy, especially if they have never had a bad break up.  I wouldn't  want my kids getting in to a serious relationship at this point.  Who knows, maybe they will get more serious and get married on day when they get older~or maybe not.  We had some friends kind of like this when I was in school.  Now they are both married to other people.  But at our 10 year reunion, both of them and their spouses were just hanging out talking and laughing together.  This is not odd at all from all I have seen both when I was in school as well as around my kids and their friends.

drfink
by Emily on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM

This is the time to be finding out who is a fit ,what your looking for and so many other things.I don't think there is ever a bad reason for teens to break up.It is a way to prepare once they are adults as in their mid 20's to know what they want in a mate

bizzeemom2717
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:41 PM
No, I would consider it normal and not a problem
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN