Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: Is a year away from alcohol enough to stop my...

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:30 PM
  • 10 Replies

Is a year away from alcohol enough to stop my daughter having a drinking problem?

my 21 year old daughter is in jail for a year for a hit and run. If she admitted what she did they would have gone easier on her but she refused. She was also drunk when the accident happened and she revealed to me she has a drinking problem. Something I was never able to see before. So I wonder, in jail you obviously won't have access to alcohol. Is one year away from it enough to be able to give it up? If so, then maybe a year in jail won't be a bad thing for her and she will learn some discipline and maybe realize because of her problem she lost her freedom.

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:56 PM
It is up to her. Many relapse. Has she has counseling??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daisykat
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:18 AM
It all depends on her past history with drinking. A drinking problem is defined by its consequences, and being that she's in jail, yeah, I'd say she has a problem. But in jail you get sober, however you don't find recovery. It's like time stops and if she's an alcoholic she may very well return to her past behavior. A little more history on her would be helpful. Was she a heavy drinker before the accident? Did you ever catch her sneaking alcohol? At what age did she start drinking? All these answers play a part in determining whether or not she's an alcoholic or just made a dumb mistake.
tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:30 AM
It is up to HER! My brother has 3 or 4 DUIs and has been in CCU 3 times but still can't stay away from alcohol. He doesn't think he needs help. Until SHE can admit she has a problem, is willing to work to stay sober there is nothing you or anyone else can do to help her. The courts can order rehab and counseling but that doesn't mean it will work.
s2354125
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:59 AM

she started drinking at the legal age. But she told me in recent months she started drinking excessively. 

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Depends on if she is using the "drinking problem" as an excuse for her behavior or if she really does have a drinking problem.  If it is the first, then you need to spend more time thinking about getting her the help she needs to own up to her actions and take responsibility, and if it is the second, no.  Alcoholics are alcholics for LIFE.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:30 AM
If she has admitted she has a problem that is the first step, but if she wants to quit she will need support either through AA or an addiction councilor or both.
suesues
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:02 PM

she will need continued support its a disease that dont ever go away

02nana07
by Ida on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:56 PM

she has to admit she has a problem and want to quit if she does then it will help otherwise it won't

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Jail will help her get clean. It is up to her to stay sober.

s2354125
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I do not think she is an "alchoholic". I do know that she has definitely been excessively drinking and irresponisibly drinking

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)