Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Old mom with teenager

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:42 AM
  • 6 Replies

Hi, my name is Myra. I'm 58 years old and have a 17 year old daughter and a 31 year old daughter. I find it harder and harder to deal with a teen at my age. Don't get me wrong, she is a great kid, but the problem is that she pulls out her hair and doesn't seem to think it is a,problem. This breaks my heart. I have started bringing her to a psychologist. I'm hoping this helps. I really feel helpless. 

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Glad you got her some help.  Glad you joined this group also!!!

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Bertieb
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Hi Myra. My DD did this in elementary school with her eyelashes. She seems to have grown out of it, we haven't had an episode for a couple years. It is a problem called trichotillamania, but if she doesn't want help I'm not sure what you can do. My daughter's was caused by anxiety and stress and it broke my heart too. It can be very severe and I'm surprised and thankful after reading about it that my DD's didn't get worse. Maybe your daughter's won't develop into anything major as well, I hope so. Hang in there, she is almost grown, you will make it!

Rmskl
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Thanks for that. The thing is that it is so noticeable. When her hair is wet you can see to her scalp, and she normally has very thick hair.  What really makes me ashamed is that it is embarrassing to me. Am I a terrible mom for feeling this way?  And why do I feel so responsible? I'm hoping that her therapist can help with all this. I feel so lost. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Hello, and welcome to the group! I'm glad you're getting her help. You're not a terrible mom for feeling embarrassed and feeling responsible. I think it's a natural reaction.

The thing is that you are taking the steps to get her the help she needs, so you're doing the right thing.

Rmskl
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Thanks, that helps. I've been beating myself up when I should be focusing on her. I'm hoping the therapy will help us both. God bless!

02nana07
by Ida on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Good luck I hope she gets the help she needs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN