Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NEED ADVICE MOM'S. 16 YEAR OLD SON CAUGHT SMOKING

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:35 PM
  • 6 Replies

I NO TEENS ARE GOING TO BE TEENS. WHEN COME TO BOYS. MY SON GOOD KID I WOULD NEVER IN MY LIFE TIME THOUGHT HE WOULD TRY SMOKING. IAM SO HEART BROKEN OVER THIS. I TALKED TO HIM HE ADMITTED IT.  I TOOK PHONE AWAY  AND GROUNDED UNTILL FURTHER NOTICE  IM NOT SURE. WHAT WOULD YOU DO

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:09 AM
1 mom liked this

go through his entire room. Take out everything except the mattress and his dressing table with his clothes in it. Even the door. Check his backpack daily and his drawers daily. Allow him to earn items back based on behaviour and trustworthyness. Do not allow him to go anywhere without you or your husband. Make him do a report on the dangers of smoking and what it can cause. tell him you will turn him into the police the next time you see smokes on him.

lovekisses
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:12 AM

My 18 year old smokes and it nears kills me inside.  If I had stressed anything for his entire life it was how disgusting smoking is, how harmful it is, how expensive it is, how harmful 2nd hand smoke is, how it ruins your teeth, skin, how you smell....  AND he still does it but not in my home.    It literally kills me inside.

my so called husband and my dad whom I look up to, tell me to back off and let him go??

jthompson1976
by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:11 AM
Really. Dont make sence my son sat watched his grandpa go threw heart prob dew years of smoking if he wouldnt quit 20 years ago I dont think he would be here today
RShay735
by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:55 PM

My daughter started smoking (among other things...sigh) at around twelve. She sneaks it whenever she can still, but I search her room and throw out any cigarettes, drugs, etc that I find, and then she's grounded. One-two months for cigarettes, up to a year for whatever else I find. 

jthompson1976
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:25 PM

good for you... my son didnt lie about it at all came clean..  far as i no he hasnt tryed drugs they do drug test every few weeks at his school ive never gotten a call.. he told me he never would. now he usally honest about things i hope honesty   is still there. he is grounded im not for sure for how long..  even thow he was honest still dose not make right  i hope and pry between every one in the family   my self dad few of aunts and uncls grand parents have all talked to him lol we have a hudge family  when 1 here some thing whole family is envolved

daisykat
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:50 PM
3 moms liked this
There are far worse things than smoking. When I was a teenager, my school had a smoking area for the students 16 and over, they just had to have a note from their parents saying it was ok. Now, if your teenager smokes, people react as if it's some kind of major calamity and he's going to drop dead the next puff he takes. Listen, smoking is a disgusting, worthless habit. It's expensive and ruins your health. But relax a little and don't be heartbroken. I tried cigarettes as a kid for about a year, then lost interest. So did my best friend. My high school boyfriend smoked but after graduation, he just quit. He's a curious teenager so he tried it. Now, if he had tried serious, mood-altering narcotics, WHOLE different story. He needs to see some pictures of diseased lungs and if you know of ANYONE who has cancer and smoked, ask if they would be willing to share their story with your son as to how smoking contributed to their decline in health. Nothing is as impactful as a personal story, eye-to-eye. And yes, go through his room and backpack on a regular basis. There are also blood tests that can be administered at a clinic to see if there is nicotine in his system. And RELAX. He came clean, so there's a level of comfort and honesty there that he has with you. Obviously you're doing something right.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)