Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

FDA approves morning-after pill without prescription for girls 15 and older

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM
  • 33 Replies
How do you ladies feel about this matter?
by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy4000
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's a good idea, I'd probably even say the age should be lower.

Msgme
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I think its a good idea i guess.   I live in nyc and this year there was a program that started handing out plan b to students in about 14 public high schools in the city.  Parents can opt out but if they don't opt out then the students as young as 14 can get the pill without parental permission. They are hoping to have it in every high school in nyc soon.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 1, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Better than an abortion. Hope they don't use it as BC. Just get on the pill or other forms of bc and use condoms as a backup.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DropZoneMom
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:25 AM
2 moms liked this

I also think the age should be lower.    Don't get me wrong -- I have my reservations.....   But for girls who aren't able to talk to their parents about birth control, preventing pregnancy is better than having an abortion or being a teen mother.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on May. 2, 2013 at 2:37 AM
1 mom liked this
It's like putting a bandaid on a much larger problem IMO. I'm not sure it will make much of an impact or very little if any difference on the teen pregnancy rate. Education and prevention are still key and not being taught correctly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on May. 2, 2013 at 7:12 AM
3 moms liked this
I agree with this 100%

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

It's like putting a bandaid on a much larger problem IMO. I'm not sure it will make much of an impact or very little if any difference on the teen pregnancy rate. Education and prevention are still key and not being taught correctly.
mkingsley
by on May. 2, 2013 at 7:16 AM
Ummm no I do not want my child putting anything in her body with discussion form her parent!!! And you say better then abortion? It causes an abortion Jeeeezzzz I would be very pissed
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 2, 2013 at 7:58 AM
No it does not. If you are pregnant you do not lose the baby. It is a stronger bc to prevent pregnancy.

Quoting mkingsley:

Ummm no I do not want my child putting anything in her body with discussion form her parent!!! And you say better then abortion? It causes an abortion Jeeeezzzz I would be very pissed

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kthomasson
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree somewhat with this.  I think alot of teens will look at it as a bandaid rather than a "oops" moment for it's original intent.  If it was truly only used when they accidentally forgot rather than I had sex let me have it.....I would agree with it.  I don't want my DD's getting pregnant but we have discussions about sex, abstinence, STD's, etc.- which I think are more key. 

I think it will just end up getting abused rather than being properly utilized sadly......

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

mkingsley
by on May. 2, 2013 at 8:32 PM
It's a pill that you take after having sex I case your pregnant hello same thing

Quoting atlmom2:

No it does not. If you are pregnant you do not lose the baby. It is a stronger bc to prevent pregnancy.

Quoting mkingsley:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)