Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

is this tacky? UPDATE page 2

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM
  • 17 Replies

My daughter is now thinking about asking another girl if she can borrow her prom dress from last year.  My daughter tells me that the girl is a bit taller than she is.  I was wondering if it would be tacky to offer to buy the dress from the girl so we could have it hemed.  She wont be wearing it again, and she will get some of the money back she spent on it.

if you do not think this is tacky, how much would you offer?  The dress was originally about $350

by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahlady
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM

oh yeah, it might not be an issue.  I found the dress on ebay.... says like new with tags!

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 1, 2013 at 12:05 PM
No, my dd loaned several dresses out. No one had to alter them. If you are gonna buy it I would say 60%.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahlady
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:08 PM

well that was the reason I thought I should offer to buy it, we would have to alter it, hem it.  my sweet kid is so dang petite 5'2" on a good day.

Im hoping the ebay works out.... less problems all around.

Quoting atlmom2:

No, my dd loaned several dresses out. No one had to alter them. If you are gonna buy it I would say 60%.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 1, 2013 at 12:11 PM
My girls are too!. 4 ft 10 and 5 ft 2. Alter most everything, ugh. I am 5 ft 2 also.

Quoting sahlady:

well that was the reason I thought I should offer to buy it, we would have to alter it, hem it.  my sweet kid is so dang petite 5'2" on a good day.

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahlady
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:14 PM

lol.... but you know, the spunkiest people are petite!  when you have to put an entire personality into a little tiny body it always comes bursting out!!

Im a whooping 5'4" - LMBO!

We were beyond thrilled when my son hit 5'10"... now the tallest on both sides of the family (other than my 6'4" married in bil)

Quoting atlmom2:

My girls are too!. 4 ft 10 and 5 ft 2. Alter most everything, ugh. I am 5 ft 2 also.

Quoting sahlady:

Quoting atlmom2:

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 1, 2013 at 12:16 PM
My brother is 6 ft 1 so go figure. Honestly, glad he got the height.Neighbor's dd is 6 ft 1 and is 16. My dd admits being 4 ft 10 and 19 years old is so much better than being over 6 ft.

Quoting sahlady:

lol.... but you know, the spunkiest people are petite!  when you have to put an entire personality into a little tiny body it always comes bursting out!!

Im a whooping 5'4" - LMBO!

We were beyond thrilled when my son hit 5'10"... now the tallest on both sides of the family (other than my 6'4" married in bil)

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting sahlady:

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSnaps
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM

It's done all the time. Ask her what she wants for it? I'd probably be willing to go 1/2 of retail and keep that in mind when she gives you her answer. If it's more bargain to your comfort price. 

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on May. 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM
I would offer at least 60%. I just asked my DD if she would ever do it, she said no, but doesn't think it's tacky. I agree with pp, def pay if it will be altered.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 1, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I don't think it's tacky.

kthomasson
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Not tacky at all.  There are TONS of dresses on craigslist- it's where we got my oldest DD's prom dress and they are DIRT cheap after having been worn once and they are gorgeous!!

We just got both of my youngest DD's dresses for $50......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)