Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you find yourself caught up in your teens drama?

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:28 PM
  • 18 Replies

My best friend who I love dearly, seems to always be caught up in her 17yr old daughters drama.

I think it is great that Ana has such a good relationship with her daughter Megan. I also think it is really good that Megan talks to her about everything too, BUT I think she gets too involved. 

For example, when Megan and her best friend got into an arguement, Ana proceeded to tell the best friend that she was wrong and should apologize to Megan. She has also been known to make comments to other teens who have issues with her daughter.

I understand sticking up for your child, but where do you draw the line? I think that at 17 years of age, she is old enough to handle her own conflicts and drama without her mother butting in.

What do you think? Do you get caught up in your kids drama? 

by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
just_hc
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Yes, and no.   My daughter is 15 (16 in June).  She's a Sophmore and on the school dance team.  There is ALWAYS drama on that dance team.  I am the team Mom so I am sort of stuck right in the middle of it as I'm in the dressing room with the girls, doing their hair and wardrobe.  So yes, I do make comments, give advise, etc.  I try not to take sides even if it is my daughter in the drama.  But I do try to calm the situation, try to make them see that this is very silly and not worth losing friends over.   And if someone is clearly wrong I will tell them.  The girls know me.  They know I won't sugar coat things whether it it means telling them their performance was awful or their attitude sucks. 

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 1, 2013 at 12:34 PM
I would not get into all that drama.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabear0791
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes and njo. I listen to what she has to say, give her advice when she asks, but I would never involve myself when her friends are arguing unless there were physical, emotional abuse or laws broken. 

My hubby and I have a no drama policy now that dd has moved out and given us a grandchild :). DD knows where to go if she needs a break from it all...or if gs needs a break from mommy lol

KW1280
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:41 PM
I try not to get involved and let my daughter handle it. She isnt usually in drama but ever since she got a scholarship people bring drama to her. She can't do anything to tarnish the name of her sponsers and scholarship committe
SugarrCane
Wishing everyone and their families a happy thanksgiving! Count your blessings and God bless!
Yesterday at 9:03 PM
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:41 PM

It's fine to have a close relationship with her daughter but as far as taking it upon herself to tell the friend to apologize, that's going too far in my opinion.

bizzeemom2717
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this
No I listen and try and give support, encouragement and advice, but stay away from the drama, I'm an adult.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
woodswalker
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM

No, I dont.  I give my daughter advice, but I let her handle it all.   Unfortunately, I know a mom who gets involved in her daughters drama and the poor girl has no friends now because no one in town will allow their kid near the mother.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on May. 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM
My kids have been pretty much drama free, any that there has been I stay out of.
romalove
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I pay close attention to what is going on with my daughter and her friends.  I keep my ear to the ground, so to speak, so I won't be blindsided by trouble and also so I can guide her when I see something on the horizon.  Having said that, I would never intervene for her or get involved with other kids and drama.  My involvement is just with my own daughter, talking to her and helping as she needs, which is my job as a parent.

She doesn't have that much drama anyway, more like her own personal little troubles.

Msgme
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:59 PM

i listen to my dd when she tells me whats going on and what not but for the most part I stay away from it.  I'll give advice to my kid but thats about it.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN