Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

8th Grade Graduation Gift or No Gift?

Posted by   + Show Post

So when i graduated 8th grade we had an actual graduation (cap & gown). My son is graduating at the end of the month and I feel like we should do something for him, special gift... but not sure what. Any ideas? Or is 8th grade no longer a milestone? I don't want to be "those parents" who either do nothing at all or do too much. lol He is my oldest at 14 and this will set the tone for future graduations. What have you gals done? bought?

by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
02nana07
by Ida on May. 2, 2013 at 1:20 AM

I didn't do anything

katydon
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Maybe take him out to dinner afterwards. Let him choose his favorite place! 

hollydaze1974
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:51 AM
We will do a special lunch or dinner, his choice. Probably Japanese Hibachi
As far as a gift.... Maybe a gift card larger than usual, but as an eight grader and in a high achievement class, he's getting to go to D.C.
The cost of the trip plus money for incidentals and souvenirs ..... Pretty much the grad gift as not a penny will be coming from his own pocket. If that sets the bar..., we're in trouble!
hollydaze1974
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:06 AM
I think assemblies for achievement certificates is appropriate for eight grade, I agree no full fledged graduAtion ceremony... Just another way to make money IMO . BUT, I fully think a dinner, outing, or a commorative type gift is appropriate . After all, they are about to enter the " final stage" of standardized school....

That's a huge and nerve racking deal for them.
My son, for one is nervous and completely terrified, just as he was going from grade school to middle.

Quoting Cindy18:

No graduation from any grade except 12th, here. I think it's ridiculous to "graduate" from any other grade. IMO, It belittles the 12th grade graduatuion.
Cindy18
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 6:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Assemblies for achivements are totally different.

I agree that it's a nerve racking transitition but celebrating them passing a grade, I still don't agree. To me, it's like saying that it was something that was a choice to do and YIPPEE you passed! Aren't they excepted to pass the 8th grade?

I don't know. I'm not wording it right, I guess.

Quoting hollydaze1974:

I think assemblies for achievement certificates is appropriate for eight grade, I agree no full fledged graduAtion ceremony... Just another way to make money IMO . BUT, I fully think a dinner, outing, or a commorative type gift is appropriate . After all, they are about to enter the " final stage" of standardized school....

That's a huge and nerve racking deal for them.
My son, for one is nervous and completely terrified, just as he was going from grade school to middle.

Quoting Cindy18:

No graduation from any grade except 12th, here. I think it's ridiculous to "graduate" from any other grade. IMO, It belittles the 12th grade graduatuion.

~~CINDY

Msgme
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 7:42 AM

our schools go all out for 8th grade  with the ceremony caps and gowns an all that.  They screwed up tho and didnt let my son walk at graduation because they didnt expect that he passed the math test.  They didnt know for sure they just suspected that he failed and had to do 3 weeks of summer school.  (which they didnt even give him math in summer school)  But turned out he did pass the test and should of walked.  (still burns me up)  my dd (same grade) was able to walk.  We had a get together at mcdonalds (their choice) and i gave them money.

CometGirl
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Our school has an 8th grade promotion ceremony and the class has a dance afterwards.  Our family has always given the child being promoted a gift of some sort.  Our daughter wanted cowboy boots!  Don't know yet what we'll get for DS this year.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 2, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Not sure if they school will do anything or not next school year, but as of now, we're not planning on doing anything for 8th grade graduation. Maybe have a family dinner out at the restaurant of his choice?

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Depends on the school.  Ours does nothing but a large trip to the local amusement park at the end of the year.  That was good enough for us.

mjande4
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Amen sister!!!

Quoting Cindy18:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN