Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8th Grade Graduation Gift or No Gift?

Posted by   + Show Post

So when i graduated 8th grade we had an actual graduation (cap & gown). My son is graduating at the end of the month and I feel like we should do something for him, special gift... but not sure what. Any ideas? Or is 8th grade no longer a milestone? I don't want to be "those parents" who either do nothing at all or do too much. lol He is my oldest at 14 and this will set the tone for future graduations. What have you gals done? bought?

by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Replies (21-26):
lilia5
by Lil on May. 3, 2013 at 8:59 AM

We did not get our daughters a gifts when they graduated eighth grade and we will not get gifts for our younger daughters when they graduate eighth grade. The school they attend does not hold a graduation for 8th grade students (or 6th for that matter), but does have 6th and 8th grade promotion ceremonies which are the week after graduation. My children are in a PK-12 school so that might be why it is not such a big deal here.

We go for dinner on the day they get out for summer, it's something we've always done. A small "celebration" I guess.

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I am on the same page with you here, my oldest daughter is graduating the 8th grade too. They are not doing anything at school. She wanted a party but we cant afford to go that direction so I am going to have a spa day with her and let her go to some other end of year parties,

PurpleHazey
by Angie on May. 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I hate to say it but we don't make a big deal out of it here.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on May. 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Quoting lilia5:

We did not get our daughters a gifts when they graduated eighth grade and we will not get gifts for our younger daughters when they graduate eighth grade. The school they attend does not hold a graduation for 8th grade students (or 6th for that matter), but does have 6th and 8th grade promotion ceremonies which are the week after graduation. My children are in a PK-12 school so that might be why it is not such a big deal here.

We go for dinner on the day they get out for summer, it's something we've always done. A small "celebration" I guess.

Same here

Crafty8852
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:52 AM
When I graduated 8th the school had a ceremony and we all had to dress up, but no cap and gowns. My mom threw a BBQ at the lake and invited family and some of my friends. It was fun! I used to collect Russ trolls so she gave me a grad troll :-) nothing huge, but cool.
LatTLP
by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Thank you for all the ideas!!! My son just told me they are having a whole day at a local golf / gocart kind of place. Kind of lame for 8th graders. But to get out of school for the day he is exicted! i think we will do dinner that night. My father in law is coming to surprise him too. So maybe just dinner, card & a little cash for the summer.

As for the school celebration, sounds like a little awards ceremony and what not (his football team won championship, and his band won major awards) so it seem pretty low key, but fun non the less.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)