Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

asking a girl to prom... is it done differently today then when you were in school?

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 7:35 PM
  • 9 Replies

here the big thing is to ask a girl to prom in a creative way.  some of the boys are funny, some romantic, and some, well just typical guys.

they have had boys take of their shirts at lunch and had letters spelling out prom on their chests with the proposing boy being the question mark.

there was a boy who got out a microphone at lunch and sang to his girl friend.

there was the neighbor girl who had prom spelled out in votive candles on the lawn.

there were silly movies made and posted on facebook, along with silly music videos.

all sorts of fun.

Is this the trend in your area?  If so, share some of the ways you have seen/heard of.

by on May. 2, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
fammatthews4
by Trisha on May. 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Not here no, where my best friend lives in TX though it is a big trend there.
Momsalawyer
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 2:09 AM

My son made glow in the dark "Will you go to prom?" on the elementary school playground and then took his girlfriend up on the roof to see it!  Younger brother (16) had to stand and guard the glow stick sign while he went to get the girl.  They also do "ask cute" for homecoming at our school, this was my son and his girl's first "real" date.  He baked her a cake that said "Homecoming?" on it and lay across the hood of her car in "male model" pose for that.  You don't know what a crowd that gathered- my son is GREAT looking, an athlete, a straight a student but known for being very very quiet and NEVER talking to girls!

Momsalawyer
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Oh yes, the young ladies get into it for Sadie Hawkins dance as well.  We are known as the "hicktown" school of the three local high schools.  Girlfriend came over in a cow costume to ask him to the Sadie Hawkins.  Hid in his room until he got home...........pretty funny!

leighp1
by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:10 AM

At my daughter's school, there were a couple of boys that did this.  I think she said they were seniors though.  Not a lot did it though.  But of course her high school is not a regular school, they are mixed in with the college students, so maybe they aren't allowed.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM
I think it has gotten out of hand. Even if your dating the guy needs some creative way. You assumed when we were in school if you were dating. No one ask. Mine have graduated but when my oldest graduated in 2009 it was getting big here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Big trend here too in western WA.

mjande4
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I agree.  It's a big trend here, as is the "day trip" the day before prom.  The production, the costs, etc.  is way out of hand.

Quoting atlmom2:

I think it has gotten out of hand. Even if your dating the guy needs some creative way. You assumed when we were in school if you were dating. No one ask. Mine have graduated but when my oldest graduated in 2009 it was getting big here.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on May. 11, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Trend in Eastern Wa too

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Big trend here too in western WA.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 11, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Apparently it is.     My co workers drove her son to the beach, where he wrote PROM?? on the sand stone and his Mom took a photo of him next to it.....   he sent the picture to the girl he was inviting, when he was next to her so she could answer.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)