Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How do you feel about teens and tattoos?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son has an eclectic group of friends all from different social groups but the one thing they all seem to have in common are tattoos. They ALL have at least one.

I have seen kids as young as 16 have them.

Personally I think that is too young to make such an importance decision about something so permanent on their body. If they are going to get them, I think they should at the very least wait until they are 18.

How do you feel about tattoos on teens?

Do your kids have any? What do you think is an appropriate age to get them?

by on May. 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Replies (11-20):
HockeyDanceMom
by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I don't like tattoos. Our rule is if they are 18 and can pay for it themselves they can get one.

Wife to Jason (07/10/98), Mommy to Michael James (03/21/00), Madalyn Rose (02/27/03), Emily Grace (01/07/05), Daniel Joseph (01/04/06) & Christopher Thomas (03/21/11).

drfink
by Emily on May. 3, 2013 at 12:42 PM

They have to be 18 and pay for it themselves.Though I prefer it to be older.What an 18 y.o. thinks is awesome can change so much in 4 or 5 years.My oldest wanted a

specific Army tattoo on his upper arm.He didn't do it at 18 ,then he said when he commissioned after college ...didn't do it then either ,then after his first deployment ...nope not then either.He is 28 and never got the tattoo he was begging for as a 16 y.o.So in a way I think 18 is too young but I wouldn't stop them at that point.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 3, 2013 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Tattooing minors is not legal in our state, and I am very supportive of that law.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on May. 3, 2013 at 12:50 PM
DH was 29 when he finally got his military tat. It's his one and only

Quoting drfink:

They have to be 18 and pay for it themselves.Though I prefer it to be older.What an 18 y.o. thinks is awesome can change so much in 4 or 5 years.My oldest wanted a

specific Army tattoo on his upper arm.He didn't do it at 18 ,then he said when he commissioned after college ...didn't do it then either ,then after his first deployment ...nope not then either.He is 28 and never got the tattoo he was begging for as a 16 y.o.So in a way I think 18 is too young but I wouldn't stop them at that point.

Lauren79
by on May. 3, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I have several tattoos and piercings as well, all in places that are only visible if I want you to see them...I didn't get my first tattoo until I was 26 and have a few more that I want to get, but that is MY decision and paying for it comes out of my pocket. My response to my 15 year old daughter any time she's asked about getting anything peirced or tattooed that she can do so when she turns 18 and can come up with the money to pay for it on her own. I will not pay for it but it's her decision.

bizzeemom2717
by on May. 3, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

Hate tattoos period. Hurts job prospects if visable.

Agree, have instilled that in my kids young. I hate them as well, no way in hell would I ever sign for my kid to permanently mark up their body like that.

bexsmum
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Two of my four have tats and I don't see a problem with it at all. DD was 3 weeks shy of turning 18 and paid for it herself and since then has added 3 more all with significant meaning to her. None of hers are visible when she is dresses for work and she works in front of a camera so they have have to be covered. DS number 2 has a large on on his back and is easily covered for work as well. I don't have any problem with it and if I veto;d it I would be a hypacrite as I have a tattoo as well.  

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 3, 2013 at 8:28 PM
My dd 22 does have 2 but they are on the tops of her feet. She will not get any more. We still hate them.

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Quoting atlmom2:

Hate tattoos period. Hurts job prospects if visable.

Agree, have instilled that in my kids young. I hate them as well, no way in hell would I ever sign for my kid to permanently mark up their body like that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Retrokitty
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:30 PM
My rule is you come up with an idea and is you still want it 1-2 years later you can get it. No younger than 16 though.
RShay735
by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:41 PM

My daughter wants a sleeve. Kind of like this: http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs48/f/2009/234/d/4/koi_fish_sleeve_by_justinstorm.jpg

My response? Absolutely not. We won't be concenting or paying for her to do that. Unlike all of the piercings she's done herself, she can't tattoo herself, and we plan to keep it that way for as long as possible. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN