Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How do you feel about teens and tattoos?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son has an eclectic group of friends all from different social groups but the one thing they all seem to have in common are tattoos. They ALL have at least one.

I have seen kids as young as 16 have them.

Personally I think that is too young to make such an importance decision about something so permanent on their body. If they are going to get them, I think they should at the very least wait until they are 18.

How do you feel about tattoos on teens?

Do your kids have any? What do you think is an appropriate age to get them?

by on May. 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Replies (21-30):
Bek22
by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:48 PM
My oldest is almost 17 and begging for a tattoo. I don't have a problem with him getting one as long as it's not dumb or cheesy and it's done at a good shop. His dad on the other hand says no way. I am 39 and got my first one at 16. I have many more now and no regrets. My mother always told me that I would be sorry when I got older, but I just wanted more:) I think it depends on the person and we are all very different. My son is a lot like his Mama, so I have a feeling that as soon as he can, he will get one.
TJFBGMommy
by on May. 3, 2013 at 9:11 PM

My sons sister got one at 17 and her parents are very conservative. But it was a small tattoo that she and her best friend/cousin designed, they were planning on going together to get them when they were both 18. Instead she got hers before going to his funeral. :(   I'm doing the same thing as them, not until the kids are 18 and can pay for it themselves, but there can be exceptions.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:40 PM

No problems here as the the legal age is 18 here as is the drop out age for school as well.

MJP76
by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I wouldn't allow my minor children to get tattoos. I had tattoos as a minor. For my first two when I was 14. Another when I was 16, and another when I was 17. All of them have since been covered...minors make stupid decisions, and tastes change over time. The tats I for when I was 14 and 16, is not a choice I would have made as an adult.. Hence why they are covered up now..

diaperstodating
by Angel on May. 3, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I have two tattoos, and my soon to be ex-husband has one tattoo. I won't allow my boys to get a tattoo until they are 18.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 3, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I am not a fan.   I think teens are too young to make the decision to have something permanently inked into their skin.   I feel age 21 is appropriate, that is when the law feels they are responsible enough to drink and gamble, I think making a lifelong decision, such as a tattoo should warrant the same consideration.

My 23 yr old son has two tats.   I managed to convince him to wait until he was 21,  Neither are visable when wearing a shirt, even a T shirt.      I do take comfort in the fact that one is his College Alma Matre, so it does have meaning, and the other is patriotic.   He designed both as a teen.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 4, 2013 at 1:37 AM

I do not agree with them and most states require you to be 18 to get htem. 

I don't care for tatoos, never found them attractive either.  As far as getting one on my teen, I don't support it unless it's something "earned" such as your child's name, "Mom", or perhaps military symbols.

Manth
by on May. 4, 2013 at 4:41 AM

I dislike tattoos on ANYONE.  However I am fine that not everyone agrees with me on this point and gets tattoos if they feel like it.  I have no plans to EVER get one and I figure my body, my choice just like it's their body, their choice.

However I have told my girls that while they are living under my roof, on my dollar they are not allowed to get a tattoo.  If and when they want one, they can be living on their own money and then there is no question of what they want.  But not while I'm supporting them.  My girls are 18 and 17 and neither one is interested in tattoos anyway.

The same rule applies to piercings.  While they live with us at our expense they can have ONE piercing in each ear lobe.  Any other piercings can be done after they leave home.  One daughter has pierced ears and doesn't want anything else.  The other decided she doesn't like the look of pierced ears or anything else and has chosen not to get them.

browneyedbitty
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 7:13 AM
The rule is not until 18 and you pay for it in our house. My 19 yo has no desire to get a tattoo. My 16 yo can't wait unitl he is 18 so he can get one. We talk to them about having tatoos hidden because of job prospects. My 16 yo wants to be a police officer someday. I told him no sleeves. I wnt in a gas,station the other day and the guy behind the counter had blue painters tape on his arm. I asked him why and he said his boss made him cover his tattoo. And that was just to work in a gas station!!!

imo tattoos look gross on old wrinkled skin. If they can make a tattoo ink that would totally fade out after say 10 years, I might get one, but I wouldnt want pics of me holding my grandbabies with old wrinkled tattoo arms....eeewww. No tats for me. My dh has 2 Military related tattoos, I like them on him.
Crazylife1994
by on May. 4, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I have no issues with tattoos but I have many myself. I agree that in most cases tattoos should wait until at least 18 but my 4 oldest all have one tattoo that they all got when they each have turned 15. It is a memorial tattoo honoring my dad. I have the same tattoo as well as my brothers.

Tattoo should always have a true meaning behind them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN