Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How do you feel about teens and tattoos?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son has an eclectic group of friends all from different social groups but the one thing they all seem to have in common are tattoos. They ALL have at least one.

I have seen kids as young as 16 have them.

Personally I think that is too young to make such an importance decision about something so permanent on their body. If they are going to get them, I think they should at the very least wait until they are 18.

How do you feel about tattoos on teens?

Do your kids have any? What do you think is an appropriate age to get them?

by on May. 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Replies (31-34):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 4, 2013 at 8:29 AM

My teen, 19, has 3 of them. They have meaning to her. She got her first one when she was 18 and she has paid for them.

proud_mommy35
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM

IMO teens have no business getting tattoos, I snuck behind my parents back when I was younger to get mine, my argument today is if you wouldn't do it in front of me, you shouldn't be doing it. Wait until your at least 18 and mature enough to make such a permanent decision. DD has piercings and only once has brought up "what would you do if I got a tattoo" at 16 there's just no way, aside from the fact that you have to be a certain age to get one and I'm not even sure about parental consent. So between 18 & 21 would be my answer (this would include driving if it were up to me lol)

WendyMomOf4
by on May. 4, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I believe they should be at least 18.   I have 2 tats and got my first at 18.  One thing I told my kids is something you love at 18 isn't necessarily something you will love at 28 and I use my first as an example.   That seems to help curb their enthusiasm. 

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 10:41 AM

An appropriate age-- 18 when they are a legal adult.

I think it's bad parenting if anyone lets an underage CHILD get a tattoo. Just my opinion.

My DD now has 3. She got her first one 5 months after she turned 18. It's big and ugly and on her right calf, it's a jellyfish. She got the next one on her left shoulder blade. It's pretty but not the best tattoo work, it's a purple gladiola. The last she got just a month ago. It's the autism ribbon and it's on the back of her neck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)