Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

need some advice on teen attitudes

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 9:52 AM
  • 6 Replies

hi im a mother of 13 year old twn girls.  It seems this past school years there attitudes have hit an astronomical high.  I've tried grounding, taking away privileges, and extra chores but it doesn't seem to be working.  I know that i may not be as consistent by "meaning what i say" but is this normal behavior and what have other mothers found that works?

by on May. 3, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 3, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Find their vice. What do they love??? You have to be ultra consistant for this to work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
You answered your own question. Consistent discipline.
twingirls7777
by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:21 AM

finding what they like is tough because the girls are tough, they do punishment like its nothing.  Now extra chores are tougher on them and sometimes they will mess around or move very very slowly until i end up saying never mind go to your room.  They can be in there room without a phone, tv, or anything and it won't bother them.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 3, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sabrtooth1:

You answered your own question. Consistent discipline.

I agree. It just takes time.

Momsalawyer
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 2:02 AM

My 18 year old son uses a snippy tone sometimes that goes "over the line".  This is my only kid who has done this, he is a loving guy, a good kid, but oh the attitude.  What has worked with him is that I "can't" hear him when he uses a certain tone which means nothing he wants gets done.  I also have explained (with success for the most part) that I don't "do" for people who treat me with disrespect.  After he missed a couple of practices (before he could drive) and had no clean undies for school he got his attitude pretty much under control.  Losing the "Mom help" worked way better than taking anything away from him, he's stubborn but hates to not have what he needs from me.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:11 AM

aha - you've got it again. The girls have realised that if they stuff up enough or are too slow or don't do it properly that you will take over. You need to make them do it regardless of how long it takes or how many times over they have to do it. They will do it and they will do it properly. If they take too much time, or don't do it properly they get additional chores/have to do the original chore till it's done properly. If they don't do it properly tell them that they are proving to you that they need additional chores to learn how to successfully do the job properly.

Quoting twingirls7777:

finding what they like is tough because the girls are tough, they do punishment like its nothing.  Now extra chores are tougher on them and sometimes they will mess around or move very very slowly until i end up saying never mind go to your room.  They can be in there room without a phone, tv, or anything and it won't bother them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)