Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Would you be mad?

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:53 AM
  • 16 Replies

I read the stir article in another group about a teacher buying his 14 year old student '50 Shades of Grey' for a reading assignment.

It says that for an independent reading assignment, the teacher asked all his students what they wanted to read. The teacher then went out and bought all the books for his students. The student in question wanted to read 50 Shades of Grey, so that is what the teacher bought.

My immediate thought was 'how nice of the teacher to buy the all the books for his class'. Then I thought, why on earth would he buy an erotic novel for a 14 year old. Wouldn't it have been better to ask the students parents first, OR suggest a student choose another book?

What do you think? Would you be mad is a teacher bought an inappropriate book for your teen?

Do you think it is no big deal?

by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 3, 2013 at 11:57 AM
No way!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 3, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Yes, I would be mad.

That is not an book that should be read by a 14 year old.

drfink
by Emily on May. 3, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I wouldn't want a teacher buying 50 shades...though i haven't read it,not opposed to reading it just there are so many other books on my reading list.Then I have mixed feelings because I live near enough to the bible belt that some of the books that parents attempt and fail to have removed are ridiculous .So the line of books to forbid is hard to find.A bio on Darwin was recently challenged.SMH

Reina13
by Reina on May. 3, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I would have an issue because it is not on a class approved reading list. I would want to be asked first. I wouldn't allow it, BUT I want the choice of being able to say yes or no.

cat4458
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Was the teacher aware of what type of book it was? Was this deliberate? I would be mad if it was a deliberate act.  Oh, heck I'd be mad either way... Even if it wasn't deliberate a teacher should know what the books are about, contents, etc before purchasing.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 4:35 PM

^^ has a good point about the teacher knowing what the content of that book was? I mean, until all the media hype I had never heard of it, and we know that there are many households and families out there who don't have/watch tv.

Aside from that, no I wouldn't want my 14 year old to read that, but I wouldn't be mad at the teacher. My children know what is and isn't acceptable, if they conned their teacher into buying it, then they would be the ones I would deal with.

MamaSnaps
by on May. 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Did this teacher not have a clue what was between the covers of that book??? It's the only way I can even imagine that the teacher would provide it to a student. And to not have a clue he or she would have to live in a bubble. I haven't even read it and I know what's between the covers!

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on May. 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM
This...

Quoting Barabell:

Yes, I would be mad.

That is not an book that should be read by a 14 year old.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on May. 3, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Not a good choice for sure. I would be mad yes, wouldn't want my DD a freshman reading that book.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I've told my 21yo that I don't want 50 shades in my house at all. That if she chooses to read it; she can either buy it when she moves out or she can read it on her kindle. Haven't heard of it since. But in that saying, I was really disappointed when her teacher reccommended that she read House Rules by Jodi Piccoult simply because the boy in the story also had aspergers. I don't like Jodi Piccoult for my daughter - but she seems to absolutely love her work. The other book I'm currently hesitating on is 13 reasons why by Jay Asher, but DD bought it online, then went out to the park for the entire day to read it so I had no say whatsoever on whether it was an appropriate book. I lost most of the control on books as soon as she got her first library card and she was independantly taking herself to the library at the age of 15.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)