Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How would you feel if you found out your teenager was having sex underage?

How would you address the issue?

by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Replies (11-20):
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 4, 2013 at 1:34 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids and I have discussed this at length.  We have discussed how beautiful sex between two loving people (making love) and how it is not a shameful thing.  That if you cannot come to me, when you know that things are getting to that point, then you're not ready.  This is a rough draft on the entire conversation but it's the jist. 

If they came to me and told me, I would counsel them against it, however, if they are insistant that they want to go, my girls would go to the gyno to get examined, get on birth control and get some GOOD condoms, not some free crap they give you at planned parenthood or at school.  I've told them again and again, you get what you pay for, don't use those free crap they give you come to me, I'll buy you the good ones.

JanetR74
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 6:21 AM
1 mom liked this

My oldest is 17 now and she became sexually active with her bf at 15.  Was I happy??? No, but I did accept it and knew no matter what I said they weren't going to stop. 

Crazylife1994
by on May. 4, 2013 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this

So far I haven't had any of my children in this situation but we are very open about the topic of sex. Both of my oldest girls are on birth control and both my boys and girls have access to condoms.

We have regular conversations about sex and the consequenses of sex. They know that I have hopes for them waiting but I am not nieve enough to think it won't happen.

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I would not be mad at all. My DD is 14 and I talk to her all the time about sex and I always tell her I want her to wait but I would never be mad at her for choosing to have sex. .

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 4, 2013 at 8:17 AM

When my dd told me she has sex for the first time I was disappointed and sad  that she didn't wait even though we'd discussed sex numerous time. I was relieved that she practiced safe sex and still does.

Because she was younger I had her do some research on birth control, std's and teen pregnancy stats/info. This was also during a time in her life that she was having some other issues that she was in therapy for, not making excuses for her but she was acting out in other unhealthy ways during this time. She's 19 now and has said that she wishes she would have waited and not had sex with the person she chose to have sex with for the first time, hindsight is 20/20~ yes?

WendyMomOf4
by on May. 4, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Depends on the age especially if they were early teens.  Regardless of age, I would be unhappy about it and try to deter it.  I would also make sure there were plenty of condoms because even though I might try to keep them from it, if there is a will, there is a way and I would want them protected. 

notjstasocermom
by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:15 AM

depends 14 pissed, 17 I would be disappointed but not mad. 

notjstasocermom
by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM

why are they on BC if they are not having sex?

Quoting Crazylife1994:

So far I haven't had any of my children in this situation but we are very open about the topic of sex. Both of my oldest girls are on birth control and both my boys and girls have access to condoms.

We have regular conversations about sex and the consequenses of sex. They know that I have hopes for them waiting but I am not nieve enough to think it won't happen.

vlynn.iowa
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I would be disappointed but then we would have a very frank discussion.

gwen_b
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I have a 15 and 13 year old and it hasn't happened yet!!!  SInce I taught them well,  I would cry!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN