Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Have Gifted 13 Year Old Daughter Who Becomes Vegetable Over Summer

Posted by   + Show Post

I have no disposable income but need to keep gifted daughter mentally and physically stimulated over the summer.  She refuses to read over the summer (it's one of her personal rules) but does like to do artwork drawings.  She's an only child, making it even easier for her to vegetate.  I would bet that someone has some good ideas to avoid summer lethargy (??)

by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Replies (11-14):
magisnotonfire
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Hello, I thought I could probably help you in the future since my almost fourteen year old didn't do anything lat summer. She thought, since it was the summer before her eighth grade year, and she was taking Gifted and Talented (GT) Algebra the following year, she should have the summer off. She was practically nocturnal. I do understand what she meant when she called it her "last summer" though, because now, before ninth grade starts, she's taking GT World Geography now, in the summer to open up her schedule. We live in an incredibly competitive area for top 10% GPA, so in High School, you have to get almost all A's. Maybe, if this is the case with your daughter, you should let her focus more on her art, get her supplies (even cheap watercolors since you said you don't have any disposable income), or sign her up for a camp. I wouldn't force anything on her though.

littlelamb303
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I have an only child as well(16) who tends to do this.  She is in AP English, so she does have summer HW that will keep her busy.  School has been out a week, and she has been spending a lot of time with friends so far. We are going on vacation in July, so that is something to look forward to. I am going to encourage her to volunteer in the local animal shelter, she loves animals.

littlelamb303
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Quoting GleekingOut:

Can't help you - My DD doesn't do anything either. It's gotten to the point (she's unemployed right now) that I've told her that she's got 60 days to get a job or she has to leave. All the houses she's looked at requires a full time job, so i've been a bit more leniant on her.

How old is your dd?  Here in NY, you need working papers to work(if you are under 18) and then can only work full time during the summer.  During the summer it is limited hours if in school full time. I am not pushing a job on her right now . Mine is 16, and has dealt with some serious personal issues.  I want her to get rid of some of the stress she has been dealing with(serious things)

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:57 PM
She's 21.

Quoting littlelamb303:

Quoting GleekingOut:

Can't help you - My DD doesn't do anything either. It's gotten to the point (she's unemployed right now) that I've told her that she's got 60 days to get a job or she has to leave. All the houses she's looked at requires a full time job, so i've been a bit more leniant on her.

How old is your dd?  Here in NY, you need working papers to work(if you are under 18) and then can only work full time during the summer.  During the summer it is limited hours if in school full time. I am not pushing a job on her right now . Mine is 16, and has dealt with some serious personal issues.  I want her to get rid of some of the stress she has been dealing with(serious things)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)