Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am tired of entitled children, therefore I am going to the basics.  My kids (the girls anyways) are basically good, but have everything they want!  I think we are going back to the basics and enjoying time instead of things.  They are going on vacation this year, 2 of them, but they are going to be mini vacations.  3 Nights in Orlando and 3 nights in Daytona Beach.  This gives me the time to spend with them doing things we all like and get to know the young adults they are becoming.

No more are we getting them the latest phones, video games, computers, etc.  They are going to have provided for them enjoyable memories.  It might cost a tad bit more, but they are going to be spending time with friends and family.  Something that will help them in the long run.

by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Replies (11-16):
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 5, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Quoting gdiamante:

Sounds like a plan. But I have to ask, have you let THEM in on it yet? 

Absolutely! That doesn't mean they can't get stuff, that just means we aren't going to worry about the latest and greatest things out there. I'm thinking like this. We have a Wii, if your friend has an Xbox, go hang out over there and we don't have to buy an xbox! This gives them time to spend with their friends. Their friends come over here to go swimming, they come here for a lot of things, time for them to go somewhere else to hang out too! I'm still buying a car this summer/fall for my new driver, but that's selfish on my part. I have failed to teach the oldest (who is the most entitled) how to drive a standard, so I am going to be buying an automatic for her to USE. She's going to be driving her sister to school with her and she's good with that (so far). Not saying we aren't going to have any material things, but we are going to focus on things that bring us together. Next month, DISNEYWORLD! Let's bring us closer together!

jojo_star
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM

They are grateful. Sometimes too grateful, and that breaks my heart. They haven't had an easy time of it (they aren't all ours biologically), so maybe that is why. Of course, like all teens, they do have their moments, but overall, they are wonderful children, and I do know I am lucky for that, I've seen their peers, and how they act, and that can be downright scary sometimes.

Quoting fantasticfour:

Lucky you for having greatful children!  You certainly have a good bunch if you do!

Quoting jojo_star:

Have fun, but you can have both. We are a very close family, we do many things together, our kids are always doing things they like together as siblings or all of us as a family, and they still have all the latest and greatest technology, and they aren't entitled. 

02nana07
by Ida on May. 5, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

sounds like a good idea there is to much focus on material things most kids don't appreciate what they have

gwen_b
by on May. 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Sounds good! Enjoy!!

Manth
by on May. 6, 2013 at 2:42 AM

We were never big on Expensive Stuff - they got basic cell phones with talk and text only, few video games, no expensive gaming systems.  But they get an allowance (and can supplement it doing extra jobs for me and DH or by working if they can find a job that will take them - not easy in this climate) and are expected to save up for themselves for those things if they want them.  One DD wanted a smart phone and earned some major prizes through school that paid cash awards and paid for it that way.  They both wanted nice laptops and saved and worked for months to get the money for them.  They treasure these things because they EARNED them, they weren't just given them.

wakymom
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Good for you!

Ds1 is 14 and still does not have his own cell phone. When we finally break down and get him one, it's not going to be some fancy latest-and-greatest one.

None of our kids have a DS in any incarnation.

We do have a Wii, but all 3 have to share the desktop computer in the family rm.

No ipads, ipods, tablets, Kindles, etc. Only dh has an ipad, and that's b/c it was issued to all town council members, not b/c he went and bought it. Ds1 does have an mp3 player, but we've lost the usb cable for it- d'oh!

The only reason ds1 has his own laptop is b/c he needed it for school this yr. The school-rentals are pieces of junk. He is not allowed to use it in his rm (unless he has a friend spend the night, then we let them have their laptops in there so they don't keep the rest of us up).

All of our camping trips are relatively electronic free. Dh and I take our phones, and dh takes his laptop, but use of those by anyone but dh is very minimal. The kids do get to watch a dvd or 2 on the laptop if we're stuck in the camper all day b/c of rain : )

I've sometimes wondered if we're putting them at a social disadvantage b/c of all that, but when I see or hear of kids whining about having to go on a 10 min. car ride or grocery shopping w/o their electronics, I think, "Yeah, I'm doing the right thing for us" and am grateful my kids can entertain themselves (for a while at least) w/o being "plugged in".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)