Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Advice Needed: Should mixed gender swim classes be allowed in school

Posted by   + Show Post

at my daughters schools from 6th -10th grade, in PE she attends the swim unit and boys and girls have
it together? Why is this allowed? Wouldn't this make girls feel uncomfortable
and give boys an opportunity to harass and humiliate girls? And cause
distractions and goofing off among everybdy? Not to mention young boys will be around with no shirt on which I think is inappropriate for young girls to be around of.

My daughter keeps saying she does not care but she is young and may not understand how wrong this is
this just seems wrong especially at school.You are at school to LEARN. Not to
goof off. Like it or not swimming is a class to workout and learn. Can't really
do that well with young boys and girls together. How can schools be so clueless?

can people really say honestly that young boys and girls will concentrate on swimming while they are around each other in bathing suits and not goof off? That boys (who arent known for sensitivity) won't use this opportunity to harass or tease girls? Seems kind of like a naive way of thinking to me, and almost a form of abuse

I cannot think of any reason they would have to have the classes together? What are the advantages to this? I see none

by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Replies (11-20):
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 5, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I think it's just find what they are doing.  I had a swim class or two in my day which was co-ed.  In fact, I can't think of a single swim class that wasn't.  I was also deemed a certified lifeguard before I was out of school, on the swim and dive team.  I don't remember anyone picking on anyone back then, and no I wasn't the glamourous one there.  I was plain and might have been on the heavy side.  Once people are in the water, you only see head up usually. 

We have a pool and regularly have co-ed parties where the girls can invite their male friends over without making it look like a date (they are really particular about appearances with that). 

mjande4
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM
2 moms liked this

I was so shocked by the post that I had to read it twice to make sure I understood the OP's problem.  In our area the kids LOVE the swim time.  It beats the heck out of running, etc. in the heat.  OP, you are over reacting BIG TIME!  It sounds to me like YOU have issues with YOUR body and are transferring insecurities on to your daughter.  There is NOTHING wrong with the kids having class together in the pool.  In fact, all the swim teams from age 5 up through high school, work out TOGETHER.  This post has me SMH!

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 5, 2013 at 11:44 AM
2 moms liked this
Wondering where the OP is? They have not posted again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on May. 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM
I'm sorry but I've got to agree with the others. You're definitely overreacting. My DD doesn't have PE at her high school (she's on varsity cheer instead) but I know for sure that they still have coed swimming. There are rules the kids have to abide by, including dress code. No teeny bikinis for the girls, no Speedos for the boys. Like Jen, I grew up in SoCal (still here) and it's the norm.

Oh and let me assure you, the boys aren't the ones who tease. I was overweight my freshman year, and it was the GIRLS who gave me hell during swim time. Luckily I love to swim so I just ignored them and enjoyed myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:36 PM

My daughter was on the swim team in middle school and it was co-ed.  The kids won't goof off if the coach doesn't allow it.  I honestly don't see what the big deal is.

tyfry7496
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 12:52 PM
I had coed swim in 1988. It's not a big deal at all. It's you that's over reacting. Teens and kids see people in swimsuits all the time. I see nothing wrong with it. There are rules to follow.
ame4c
by on May. 5, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Just one question- Are you going to keep her around only girls, until the day she is ready to wed????

Kids have to learn how to be social. This also means they have to learn deal with the dumbasses that are mean and cruel.  If we shelter them, how are they ever going to deal with this type of behavior as adults???  Because frankly, I don't think men mature past middle school.  I work with a bunch of them and they all act just like the middle schoolers in my town.

The best thing you can do for your DD is teach her how to handle that type of stupidity and how to love herself for who she is.  Teach her that everyone elses opinions about herself don't mean near as much as her own opinions about herself.

Momofmenagerie
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 4:35 PM
If they have their own changing areas, I don't see the big deal. My only POSSIBLE way to agree is if the girls can wear bikini's . Girls should be required to own a one piece are part of the dress code.

I don't understand the rest of the argument as girls are MUCH more likely to tease other girls than the boys would... Same for the boys.
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 5, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Mine would not buy a one piece for a couple weeks of swimming. According to my dd no one wore one piece suits ever in her classes. No issues. Yes, they change away from the boys, lol.

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

If they have their own changing areas, I don't see the big deal. My only POSSIBLE way to agree is if the girls can wear bikini's . Girls should be required to own a one piece are part of the dress code.

I don't understand the rest of the argument as girls are MUCH more likely to tease other girls than the boys would... Same for the boys.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on May. 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Goodness our club ,neighborhoods and schools all have swim teams together...both mixed and single sex teams but practice is together.No issues ummm maybe the boys are a little embarrassed at first when they first join because they are in Speedos but the girls aren't worried or embarrassed.The guys quickly get over it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)