Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Advice Needed: Should mixed gender swim classes be allowed in school

Posted by   + Show Post

at my daughters schools from 6th -10th grade, in PE she attends the swim unit and boys and girls have
it together? Why is this allowed? Wouldn't this make girls feel uncomfortable
and give boys an opportunity to harass and humiliate girls? And cause
distractions and goofing off among everybdy? Not to mention young boys will be around with no shirt on which I think is inappropriate for young girls to be around of.

My daughter keeps saying she does not care but she is young and may not understand how wrong this is
this just seems wrong especially at school.You are at school to LEARN. Not to
goof off. Like it or not swimming is a class to workout and learn. Can't really
do that well with young boys and girls together. How can schools be so clueless?

can people really say honestly that young boys and girls will concentrate on swimming while they are around each other in bathing suits and not goof off? That boys (who arent known for sensitivity) won't use this opportunity to harass or tease girls? Seems kind of like a naive way of thinking to me, and almost a form of abuse

I cannot think of any reason they would have to have the classes together? What are the advantages to this? I see none

by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Replies (21-30):
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM
I didn't say I would insist. I said that was the only possible way I'd be able to agree with the OP.

Quoting atlmom2:

Mine would not buy a one piece for a couple weeks of swimming. According to my dd no one wore one piece suits ever in her classes. No issues. Yes, they change away from the boys, lol.

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

If they have their own changing areas, I don't see the big deal. My only POSSIBLE way to agree is if the girls can wear bikini's . Girls should be required to own a one piece are part of the dress code.

I don't understand the rest of the argument as girls are MUCH more likely to tease other girls than the boys would... Same for the boys.

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I don't see anything wrong with it. 

I see your prospective but think it's very old fashioned and unrealistic .

askmommy
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Seriously? If your dd goes to the beach or a pool, then she will see the same thing. Heck, there is more skin on TV than at the school pool. She is in class, supervised.
metalmomma86
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:18 AM
2 moms liked this
You are kidding right? What is this 1947? A boy with no shirt? GASP! THE HORROR..
SillyMommy1979
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Seriously u are worried about seeing a boy with no shirt?? Wow sound like u have some issues

zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Maybe the OP is a troll

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM
OP has not returned so she may be.

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

Maybe the OP is a troll

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Are you joking?  This has to be the most ridiculous post I have read all week.  Boys most certainly can go shirtless it is NOT a distraction no more than having any class together.   Kids will pick on someone else in any surrounding, swim class doesn't matter.  You seem clueless not the school.  If they want to be in that class yes they most certainly can concentrate on swimming and not each other.  If they don't want to be there yup they will goof off and it has NOTHING to do with the swim suits.

Honestly if you have an issue with it you need to send your daughter to an all girls school. 

mjande4
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Of course her daughter will never get teased or picked on by other girls.  (insert sarcasm font)

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Are you joking?  This has to be the most ridiculous post I have read all week.  Boys most certainly can go shirtless it is NOT a distraction no more than having any class together.   Kids will pick on someone else in any surrounding, swim class doesn't matter.  You seem clueless not the school.  If they want to be in that class yes they most certainly can concentrate on swimming and not each other.  If they don't want to be there yup they will goof off and it has NOTHING to do with the swim suits.

Honestly if you have an issue with it you need to send your daughter to an all girls school. 

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM

She said she has issues with being distracted by the opposite gender and having boys around without shirts on that is what I was referring too!!  No frickin joke she could get picked on by girls *eye roll*

Quoting mjande4:

Of course her daughter will never get teased or picked on by other girls.  (insert sarcasm font)

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN