Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Advice Needed: Should mixed gender swim classes be allowed in school

Posted by   + Show Post

at my daughters schools from 6th -10th grade, in PE she attends the swim unit and boys and girls have
it together? Why is this allowed? Wouldn't this make girls feel uncomfortable
and give boys an opportunity to harass and humiliate girls? And cause
distractions and goofing off among everybdy? Not to mention young boys will be around with no shirt on which I think is inappropriate for young girls to be around of.

My daughter keeps saying she does not care but she is young and may not understand how wrong this is
this just seems wrong especially at school.You are at school to LEARN. Not to
goof off. Like it or not swimming is a class to workout and learn. Can't really
do that well with young boys and girls together. How can schools be so clueless?

can people really say honestly that young boys and girls will concentrate on swimming while they are around each other in bathing suits and not goof off? That boys (who arent known for sensitivity) won't use this opportunity to harass or tease girls? Seems kind of like a naive way of thinking to me, and almost a form of abuse

I cannot think of any reason they would have to have the classes together? What are the advantages to this? I see none

by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Replies (31-40):
mjande4
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Quoting fullxbusymom:

Simmer down. My comment was aimed at the OP, not you. I agree with you.
Acalhoun
by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM

We had a lifesaving unit (in the swimming pool) in my Fresh or Soph co-ed PE class in high school.  There was no harrassment of any kind between the genders.  

Quite frankly, in today's world, I'd be more worried about harrassment originating from within the same gender. Girls can be vicious to other girls, often moreso than a boy would be. You should be glad that your daughter has no issues with the situation.  That is a good sign that your daughter is going to be a strong, confident woman!

rachel499
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM

no

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1924 is a Cafemom newbie. Never came back. Can we say a troll??? Probably.
OHgirlinCA
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I swam competitively on a swim team for many years.  There was never an issue with the boys and girls practicing together and the boys wore tight speedos.  I've also taught both boys and girls how to swim in the same class.

I really see no issue with this.

s2354125
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I agree with the others who say that it is mostly girls who tease others girls. That has always been my experience.  It is unfair to blame boys for everything 

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Quoting luckysevenwow:

This would have been my answer word for word, it really wasn't a big deal..

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

We had co Ed PE in HS I graduated in 1990. I also grew up in SoCal and on the beach so lol, boys without tops on? Not overly stimulating in my book. Kids should be able to handle seeing each other in bathing suits and I'm sure the gym teachers keep it under control.

This is my answer too.  And you should be really glad they still TEACH swimming -pools are expensive to maintain and insure and way too many schools have cut swimming.

s2354125
by on May. 11, 2013 at 1:18 PM

also, I'd like to point out that it is also possible for girls to tease boys as well. Why is the OP only think it is one way?

daisykat
by on May. 11, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Whoa... a form of abuse??? Slow down a little. I think the school may do it to save money and resources. There may not be enough kids to justify having both girls and boys classes separate so they're combining them. As for goofing off, that's what the teachers are there for. They'll keep the place orderly. Seeing each other in swimsuits? Unless they're in Speedos and thongs I wouldn't give it a second thought.
sahlady
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 2:21 PM

your kidding right?!

I have an issue with 6th graders in class with 10th graders.  And I would have an issue with a swim class, even a single sex swim class, that didnt require the proper type of swim suit.

But a co-ed swim class is a non-issue.  The swim team practices together, the kids go to the same pools and beaches during the summer.  I think your being a tad over protective here.

Perhaps you need to have your child in an all girl school if these are your feelings.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN