Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Advice Needed: Should mixed gender swim classes be allowed in school

Posted by   + Show Post

at my daughters schools from 6th -10th grade, in PE she attends the swim unit and boys and girls have
it together? Why is this allowed? Wouldn't this make girls feel uncomfortable
and give boys an opportunity to harass and humiliate girls? And cause
distractions and goofing off among everybdy? Not to mention young boys will be around with no shirt on which I think is inappropriate for young girls to be around of.

My daughter keeps saying she does not care but she is young and may not understand how wrong this is
this just seems wrong especially at school.You are at school to LEARN. Not to
goof off. Like it or not swimming is a class to workout and learn. Can't really
do that well with young boys and girls together. How can schools be so clueless?

can people really say honestly that young boys and girls will concentrate on swimming while they are around each other in bathing suits and not goof off? That boys (who arent known for sensitivity) won't use this opportunity to harass or tease girls? Seems kind of like a naive way of thinking to me, and almost a form of abuse

I cannot think of any reason they would have to have the classes together? What are the advantages to this? I see none

by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Replies (41-43):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 11, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I honestly believe that young boys and girls can concentrate on their lessons, regardless of attire.

Kids and teens see each other in swimsuits all the time.... at the beach, lake, river, water parks, swim centers....   it is not unusual or a big deal.   As for boys without shirts on... are you serious?   Your daughter can and likely does see shirtless boys and men all the time.... ever noticed roofers and construction workers?   My dh and most of our male neighbors don't wear shirts most of the summer.

I also think it is unfair and unfounded to believe that the girls are the victims of harrassment and humiliation by the boys, and are the only ones to feel uncomfortable.    Many boys are teased due to their body types, as well.

ms-superwoman
by on May. 11, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Quite honestly, you sound a bit crazy.

Come join us!

Butt 'N Gut

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

GrammaJane46
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 3:37 PM

My opinion as well.  Have  you asked yourself why this concerns  you so?  Did you have a bad experience with being teased while in a swimming pool or similar situation?

Quoting fammatthews4:

IMO you are over reacting.  Maybe I feel that way because we have been going to public pools and beaches since the kids were tiny and they have been exposed to people in bathing suits all their life.  If their school had a swim class I would have been totally fine with it being coed.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)