Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

5/5 Today is...

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:16 AM
  • 10 Replies

National Cartoonists Day

In case you haven’t heard, today is National Cartoonists Day. It’s been pretty hard to miss with all the National Cartoonists Day sales at the Mall. I think government workers get the day off too.

Seriously, here’s the scoop: The Yellow Kid, the very first color comic strip, was first published today (May 5) in 1895. Gradually the comics became a staple in every newspaper in the country, and hence today has been designated as National Cartoonists Day. Although the internet revolution has created an uncertain future for comic strips, it’s hard to dismiss the impact they’ve had on American culture. I grew up on classics such as Bloom County, The Far Side, and Calvin and Hobbes. Maybe later today I’ll pull out one of my old paperback collections and read through it for old times sake. My hunch is the humor will still hold up strong.

Of course, cartooning goes far beyond the newspaper funny pages. Animation, greeting cards, children’s books, illustration, even toy and game design, are all heavily saturated with the work of talented cartoonists.

So don’t forget to hug a cartoonist and tell them how much you appreciate them!

What is your favorite comic strip?

by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 5, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Family Circle
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lakerfan420
by Jamie on May. 5, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Drabble
fammatthews4
by Trisha on May. 5, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Dagwood

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 5, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Calvin and Hobbes.

02nana07
by Ida on May. 5, 2013 at 9:29 AM

don't really have one

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 5, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I always read Baby Blues and Zits in the newspaper. My all time favorite is The Far Side.

HockeyDanceMom
by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I don't have one

Wife to Jason (07/10/98), Mommy to Michael James (03/21/00), Madalyn Rose (02/27/03), Emily Grace (01/07/05), Daniel Joseph (01/04/06) & Christopher Thomas (03/21/11).

wakymom
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Garfield and Frank and Ernest tie for my faves. Our newspaper doesn't carry Frank and Ernest anymore, but my parents' does, so my mom sends me some she clips from their paper.

wakymom
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I miss that one : (

Quoting fantasticfour:

Calvin and Hobbes.

bizzeemom2717
by on May. 6, 2013 at 3:12 AM
Peanuts
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)