Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

COllege room mates?

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 11:38 PM
  • 18 Replies
my daughter's going to college in the fall, and recently I mentioned how we have to fill out her housing paperwork. I asked hwr what kind of matching sytem the school uses, whether they do some kind of a survey, and she said she didn't know, she had found two girls to share a room with on her own. She had apparently been talking to them for weeks without telling me a thing. I've always brought her up not to talk to strangers online and i was shocked to find out shed just contacted a couple people not even through the colleges official site! WOuld this bother you? She said they seem nice, but she won't let me see her conversations!
by on May. 5, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jojo_star
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:19 AM
1 mom liked this

No, it wouldn't bother me. She is being smart, trying to find someone she can get along with well to share a room with. I would be a little hurt that she didn't tell me right away, and I would want to know just how she found them, but by the time (and even now) my kids are going to college, they're old enough, and I've raised them well enough that I wouldn't be upset about this. They're adults or very close to it, and I would respect and trust her choices and I wouldn't ask to see her private conversations. 

metalmomma86
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:21 AM
2 moms liked this
For her sake, I hope she is going to school far away from you.
Overbearing much?
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on May. 6, 2013 at 3:10 AM
2 moms liked this
Sounds like she is doing things the way the college set them up? My DS is a soph in the dorms this year. They didnt get to pick freshman year. 4 guys shared a suite, 3 including my son got along so well that one and my son are dorm mates by choice this year and renting a house together off campus next year. One of the suite mates freshman year was a crazy jerk, my son and the other boys went through the proper channels and THEY handled it. My point, let your daughter deal with this, she's an adult or will be soon. Good for her she shouldn't have let you see her conversations, what the heck??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carmel63
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 6:35 AM

This is how some colleges handle room mate assignments.

I no longer monitor my daughter's online activity.  She is almost 18, and will be moving out soon.  My daughter has also been communicating with her new classmates online using their Facebook group.

suesues
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:01 AM

we do it by survey or u can request one  also we have a facebook site I dont know it all new to me   Ask her why she wants to room with them likes and dislike home town ect

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 6, 2013 at 8:16 AM
No, it would not bother me. My dd was a freshman this year. She friended her roomate she was matched with on facebook. The girl never friended her back. She was a nut case. Never really talked to my dd all year. When we met her we knew it was going to be a trying year but dd met and made many friends, just not her roommate. Bizarre.
OP be glad your dd is communicating and getting along. That is awesome and the way it should be. My dd knew she would not be good because she never friended her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 6, 2013 at 8:18 AM
I have to agree. Please OP, do not be one of those parents that talk or text to their kids every day at college!! Let her grow up.

Quoting metalmomma86:

For her sake, I hope she is going to school far away from you.

Overbearing much?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luv.My.Kidz
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this

My goodness... so you're daughter is becoming a young woman and going off to college and the first thing you can think of is "I told her not to talk to strangers online!"

My goodness... you're an overbearing woman!

Carmen66
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM

My daughter met her roommate through the school website, we thought it was a good idea. She is gonna be 19 and will be a sophomore next fall. They will be roommates again, the first day we met her we got along with her and her parents and the girls are the best of friends. Let her decide and she is becoming a young woman, this will be her decision.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM
5 moms liked this

I find it ironic that you're asking advice from strangers online on this issue, considering how worried you are about your grown daughter talking to strangers online.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)