Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Isn't this too young?

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:37 AM
  • 23 Replies

How old was you teen when they got their first summer job? We have suggested to our 14 yo dd that she should look into getting a job (since she wants... wants... wants) but I'm not sure after we said that it is good timing and not a good msg to send this early.  How do you balance need/vs wants in how you help pay for 'extras'? Do you go 1/2 & 1/2 or make them pay the full amount for everything bought? How do you balance it out at this age? My dd now has her driving permit and she has friends that have already taken drivers ed so they can drive alone back & forth to school and work this summer. They are getting their own cars this summer at age 14.  I think this is way too early & it makes it hard for parents who are trying to set limits for their kids. 

by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:42 AM

MY sons at ages 11 & 12 job shared a full time baby sitting job for the summer. Much of the time they were with me. But it gave the little boy who was 9 a sense of not having to be at my daycare with the little kids. They each made $40 per day. The money was used for things they wanted. The choose to take the job and really enjoyed it. they did it for 3 summers.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM

My son does yard work at my mom's house during the summer, and she pays him $7.50 a hour--their agreement, not mine.

Last summer, he saved up to by an iPod Touch. We didn't contribute at all towards it.

At 14 here, kids cannot drive yet. Also, it's hard to find a real job until you're 16. Most kids under 16 do yard work or babysitting to earn extra money.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 6, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I was between jr and sr year. My girls never had jobs in hs at all or summers.
Cars at 14, no. Mine got their license and cars just before 17 or around there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM

My dd tutors and babysits  but other than that is havng a hard time finding a regular job at 14.   My son is looking for work for this summer he's 16 this year.  looks like he'll probably end up at mcdonalds or something.  they will save thier cash and buy what they want themselves.  I'll cover their needs they can cover their wants. As for driving  They can't get behind the wheel here until at least 16 but i don't know any 16 years olds driving.  My son will probably take drives ed next fall  just shy of his 17th b-day.

I.heart.my.kids
by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:52 AM

My son got his first job at 16 but was applying to summer you when he was 15. Currently during the school year he is working 2 weekday evenings and one weekend day or evening. Each shift is no more than 4-5 hours. So even on the weekday during the school week he is home by 9:30.

During the summer with Summer Youth (the neighborhood camp) they work 25 hour weeks and the shifts are either 8am-1pm or 1pm-6pm

cat4458
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:13 PM

In our state they can drive back & forth to school at 14 (if they live more than a mile away from the school) and back & forth to work. That is without an adult riding with them!!  In SD they can actually get their 'drivers license' at 14 so their states laws are worse than ours. 

Quoting Msgme:

My dd tutors and babysits  but other than that is havng a hard time finding a regular job at 14.   My son is looking for work for this summer he's 16 this year.  looks like he'll probably end up at mcdonalds or something.  they will save thier cash and buy what they want themselves.  I'll cover their needs they can cover their wants. As for driving  They can't get behind the wheel here until at least 16 but i don't know any 16 years olds driving.  My son will probably take drives ed next fall  just shy of his 17th b-day.

Msgme
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:35 PM

just wanna say thanks.  You totally reminded me to send in the applicatons for the summer youth program for my 2 teens.   the deadline was in 4 days so i got lucky  i rememberd.

Msgme
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I guess it depends on the city/state.  I"m in NYC and putting 14 year olds behind the wheel is just scary  lol Here if your more than a miile away from school   you get free public transportation  lol

Quoting cat4458:

In our state they can drive back & forth to school at 14 (if they live more than a mile away from the school) and back & forth to work. That is without an adult riding with them!!  In SD they can actually get their 'drivers license' at 14 so their states laws are worse than ours. 

Quoting Msgme:

askmommy
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM
My ds had his first job at 15, his choice. He volunteered at 14. He loves being busy and having his own money. He is saving quite a bit too.
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 6, 2013 at 2:10 PM
That is scary.

Quoting cat4458:

Quoting Msgme:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)