Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

When does competitiveness turn to violence?

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM
  • 6 Replies

I read about the soccer referee who died on Saturday from injuries sustained while he was hit in the head during a soccer match. The referee gave a 17 yr old youth soccer player a yellow card warning, in which the player retaliated by hitting the referee in the head. He was transported to a hospital where he was in a coma before dying.

Have youth sports gotten so competitive that players would do anything to win, include getting violent?

Do you think this is a growing problem or more of an isolated incident?

by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
sahlady
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this

my daughter played high school soccer and competitive soccer.  there are teams/areas/coaches that are simply horrible.  there were teams that we played and we knew going in that they were taught dirty and would play dirty.  and depending on who the refs were it could get ugly.  I blame the adults.  

There was a number 1 or 2 ranked bb team by us that was out of town at a tournament when a couple of star players were caught smoking pot.  The coach sat them out knowing full well they would lose the game with out those players.

Either the adults teach well and set good examples.... or terrible things happen.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on May. 6, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Yes, my DD has played club soccer for years and it has gotten out of control not only with players, but sadly with coaches and parents on the sidelines in our area as well.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 6, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Growing problem.   I blame the parents and the coaches.    Adults take sports too seriously, and that puts a lot of pressure on the kids to do well, and sets a poor example.   Lack of sportsmanship should never be tolerated.  Never.   

tyfry7496
by on May. 6, 2013 at 9:44 PM
When the PARENTS teach the behavior at home. When too much perfection and pressure is put on a child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on May. 6, 2013 at 11:10 PM

With four children they all have played club and select in several sports.It ALWAYS starts with the parents.Some of those parents get so angry at Refs ,coaches other kids ,their kids.It is worrisome if they can get that angry due to a GAME what if something really bad should happen.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 7, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I agree with the comments that it starts with the parents. My son isn't at the high school level, but he's played travel/club for years. I do some associations that have a culture of violence, but the parents allow that culture to continue.

For example, during the end of season tournament, my son had one coach tell the team that if the other team had a breakaway that he wanted our kids to take a penalty to stop it. (Surprisingly, that was by a rec coach the one year my son played rec instead of travel/club. His current travel team doesn't have a culture of cheap shots.) My husband pulled my son aside and said that we play based on skill and don't go for the cheap shot. My son followed my husband's directions over his coach, and he still tries to base is game on improving his skill as opposed to taking out opposing team players.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)