Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Be a mean mom and protect your child from cyberbullying

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:13 PM
  • 3 Replies
1 mom liked this

I read this article and I am so for being mean and finding out what my kids are upto. I'm glad my kids are older, but i would definitely be a mean mom if my kids were younger.

If you're the parent of a teen, you have witnessed this scenario at your own kitchen table, I’m sure. Less talking. More texting. Virtual conversations, whether via smart phones or social media, consume our kids’ existence. 

Our children’s social lives are no longer played out at home and at school, where adults are present, but now inhabit dark corners of the Internet. As parents, we want to believe these are harmless digital exchanges with their school friends — but what if they’re not?

Over 88 percent of teenagers say they have seen someone be "mean" and "cruel" to another person on a social network site according to the Pew Research Center. The most common form of cyberbullying is wide distribution of intimate information to the public.

Having private text messages forwarded without consent or having an embarrassing picture posted on Facebook without permission can lead to a tidal wave of emotional and verbal abuse. Now anyone and everyone can provoke a cyber attack without fear of consequences, or so it would seem.  

Go on. Be a mean mom or dad, and find out what your kids are doing online or on their phones. It just might save your child’s life.

But the consequences are very real. According to the Cyberbulling Research Center, virtual attacks result in teenage depression, low self-esteem — and worse — suicide.

by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
joyfulmom30
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM

BUMP!

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I am a mean mom.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 6, 2013 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a mean mom. I tell my kids all the time "sorry you don't have a cool mom, you have a mean old school mom".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN